installation - Sql server - Internal Application Error

Get help from other users here.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

justinhull

installation - Sql server - Internal Application Error

Post by justinhull »

UPDATE: I looked into the install.php code and saw the section that does the DB creation if not exist. that got me thinking so I looked back into sql server via SSMS and I see that the DB was created. the next step looks like it tries to log in as the user(?) and I thought the install would create the user? I am going to try and have the user already set up and see what happens.

More: that did not make a difference. I stall cannot figure out what could be causing this error, but please see below, I allowed to display errors and it failed on closing the DB?
sqlservererror.PNG
sqlservererror.PNG (100.55 KiB) Viewed 1676 times
Original Post:

I am in the process of trying to evaluate mantisbt as a replacement for Spiceworks. Our company uses
MS Sql Server 2012
Windows Server 2016 Standard

In installing mantisBT I did the following first, understanding that IIS was already installed.

1 - Installed PHP 8.0 from Web Platform Install
2 - Installed PHP Sql Server drivers from Web Platform Install
3 - Downloaded mantisBT v 2.25.2
4 - created a website in IIS using a port (ie localhost:8081)

At this point I was able to open a browser on the server and get the initial installation page. All the checks stated 'GOOD'

Next I set up a local DB SysAdmin user so I could perform the DB creation.

After filling in all the fields for user and Admin user I clicked on the install button and what I get is a page that displays:
-------------------------
INTERNAL APPLICATION ERROR

Please use the "Back" button in your web browser to return to the previous page. There you can correct whatever problems were identified in this error or select another action. You can also click an option from the menu bar to go directly to a new section.
-----------------------------
At this point I have no information as to why this process is failing. I click back and there are no errors indicated. I also tried doing this with just printing sql queries.

Is this a permissions issues at the file folder level?
is there something I missed in setting up PHP or IIS (the test PHP page worked just fine and the initial install page displayed)?
Is it that I used a port number instead of a host name (that is the goal)?
Is it because browsers are forcing hhttps (though I used original IE, I can try chrome)?

Is there some log that can be read? I am an experienced developer and familiar with ISS, MS Sql Server, and the OS so I am happy to dig, but I don't know where to start when every indication states this should not fail.

I cannot use MySql or other DB systems as this is for our company and we need to use sql server.

I look forward to any help, thank you.
justinhull

Re: installation - Sql server - Internal Application Error

Post by justinhull »

I want to bump this back up. Is there not a developer from Mantis that can check into this? I am dead in the water trying to evaluate the product for our company and at the moment, since I cannot get past this error and I am not getting any help, we may pass on this product.
cas

Post by cas »

Is it not an option to use MariaDB, that will keep you away from your current and most likely future issues around the DB.
obmsch

Post by obmsch »

Line 864 in install.php is at the end of the check, if the given user/pwd can connect to the db. So I guess the connect failed.
As the connect with adminuser/adminpwd prior to this check works (the db is created as you stated), my first guess is the user/userpwd
combination you put in the fields of the installation page doesn't exist in sqlserver.