Unassign bulk issues

Get help from other users here.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

hheckner

Unassign bulk issues

Post by hheckner »

Hi,

I want to unassign 100 issues from a person. When I multiselect in VIew Issues the issues then select "Assign" from the drop down I end up in a dialog where i have to select a user. The "empty" selection is not available. Furthermore when I open the issue in detail view i can remove the user from the issue (via updating the issue)

Any help?

Thanks
Hannes
atrol
Site Admin

Re: Unassign bulk issues

Post by atrol »

This is a quite old feature request
http://www.mantisbt.org/bugs/view.php?id=7896

If you have access to database via SQL you can update column handler_id in table mantis_bug_table (set value to 0)
This is not a 100% clean solution because you will have no entries in history for this action and no emails will be sent.
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual
zidnut

Post by zidnut »

Just curious if this has situation has changed at all?
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

zidnut wrote:Just curious if this has situation has changed at all?
Do you think that the feature request should have higher priority?
I don't see any real use case for such a bulk operation. Can you give an example?
zidnut

Post by zidnut »

to be honest I haven't used mantis that long.

but the users are looking to take a lot of issues that are assigned to someone and mark them as a custom status of backlog, an issue they want around but not assigned.

so it may be they're logic here is off..

I suppose I can create a user, assign all the bugs to him, delete him, or search on his ID and change to 0..

not sure they care about history
cas

Post by cas »

you could look at extending the group menu with an option for "Unassign", this will at least cater for correct handling with respect to messaging and history.
The function would almost be a copy of bulk assigning. The major difference is the status change and setting the handler_id to 0.
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

zidnut wrote: but the users are looking to take a lot of issues that are assigned to someone and mark them as a custom status of backlog, an issue they want around but not assigned.
I use a version named "Backlog" for this and set the target version to this version.
So I still see the information who is the best one (probably the assigned) to resolve the issue in a future version.
If I decide later that the issue is not backlog but should be resolved in the next planned version, I have just to change the target version.

As a workaround to use with your existing workflow you could create a dummy user "Nobody". So assigning to "Nobody" would also reflect in some way the real situation.
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

cas wrote:extending the group menu with an option for "Unassign", this will at least cater for correct handling with respect to messaging and history.
Probably the best solution for this
cas

Post by cas »

Since we are not working with versions, we introduced status "On Hold". The assigned personstays which make sit easy to pickup in a later stage.
If that is not the intention, you can indeed use a "nobody" user.

@zidnut,
as you can see you now already have 3 solutions for handling your issue:
1. adding some code
2. working with versions
3. working with a status
The latter 2 possibly in combination with a generic user
:D :D :D
zidnut

Post by zidnut »

one of my IT guys looked at the code and thought it was as easy as adding the the field as a choice.. could it be.. ?

he plans to post the patch.
zak.ford

Post by zak.ford »

jenallen74

Post by jenallen74 »

Does anybody know if the requested functionality has been added to an official version (I am using mantis version 2.24.4 released in 2020, but I still don't see this capability even though a note linked to the issue --http://www.mantisbt.org/bugs/view.php?id=6175-- in 2018 by OBSkewer lists a patch that will do this).

thanks.
cas

Post by cas »

The patch is not implemented, you can it yourself (there is also a version for 2.x) but needs to be repeated every update.