Both my config files are being ignored

Get help from other users here.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

HerrimanCoder

Both my config files are being ignored

Post by HerrimanCoder »

I am using MantisBT 2.26.1, installed March 24, 2024. I'm seeing contradictory info about which config_inc.php I should be customizing, and which will be used by MantisBT.

First, I did a manual installation from a zip into my Ubuntu server and everything is working nicely. I can login, create and save issues, etc. So I'm 99% golden.

But...

The first thing I noticed after installing is that there is no config_inc.php file anywhere. In the root folder there is config_default_inc.php. So my first thought was that I should copy that file and rename it to config_inc.php. But then I'm also seeing in the /config directory there is config_inc.php.sample. Again, I assume I should copy that file and rename.

Cutting to the chase: I have tried customizing both configs, in turn, and even implementing both, in each folder. MantisBT simply ignores anything I do in either file.

My evidence:
  • I have changed the default string in $g_window_title and nothing changes in the UI. I logged out and back in. Admittedly this is a very small thing, but it proves that both my configs are being ignored.
  • I have implemented SMTP, yet no emails go out. No errors either. I know my SMTP settings are valid because I have tested them successfully in external apps. I also read the email setup instructions here on this forum, and followed those precisely.
So in summary, (and I'm sure this is wrong) I now have:

./config_inc.php
./config/config_inc.php

I have customized both.

So now to my stupid question: which config file should I be customizing, and in which folder?

Thanks in advance for any help.
atrol
Site Admin

Re: Both my config files are being ignored

Post by atrol »

The first thing I noticed after installing is that there is no config_inc.php file anywhere.
The installer creates config/config_inc.php.
If the installer is not able to create the file (e. g. due to missing access rights), you are told by the installer to create that file with a certain content.

All configuration is done in config/config_inc.php
Never ever change config_defaults_inc.php and also do not copy whole config_defaults_inc.php to config_inc.php, copy just the options you want to change.
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual
HerrimanCoder

Post by HerrimanCoder »

I guess I'm buggered then, because the installer didn't tell me that, and the file wasn't created. At this point, how can I patch things together?

Also, since I jimmy-rigged config/config_inc.php, and it does exist, why is it being ignored? Am I misunderstanding what $g_window_title does? Is there some way to confirm whether that file is being read...or ignored?
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

Add

Code: Select all

exit ("Hello I am there");
to config_inc.php
After that, you should just see "Hello I am there" on the screen when opening any MantisBT page.
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual
HerrimanCoder

Post by HerrimanCoder »

Yeah, that worked. After I removed the "Hello", everything broke HARD. I'm reinstalling everything and hoping for better fortune. Thanks for your time in answering my question.