Hiding existing issues and categories

Get help from other users here.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

KenHorse

Hiding existing issues and categories

Post by KenHorse »

My Mantis BT system has years of categories (and issues within those categories) that have been used by Administrator users only.

I'd like to start adding some Reporters and only allow them viewing/access to new issues and not existing ones. I've tried to change such things as $g_default_bug_view_status = VS_PRIVATE; and $g_private_bug_threshold = DEVELOPER; but it doesn't seem prevent a user with Reporter level access from seeing them (I created a Reporter and impersonated them).

Obviously I'm doing something wrong
cas

Re: Hiding existing issues and categories

Post by cas »

if you want it to work like that, you should mark all existing issues as private. This is not something you can do thru mantis afaik but is an easy task using phpmyadmin.
Another option could be to move all existing issues to a separate project which you mark as private. As long as new reporters are not added to that project they will not be able to see those issues.
KenHorse

Post by KenHorse »

Sounds reasonable. What field is the determiner of public or private? Searching the tables for those words apparently aren't
cas

Post by cas »

It is the field view_state in the bug_table. When public the value will be 10, for public set it to 50 :mrgreen:
KenHorse

Post by KenHorse »

Thanks for the suggestions - I've made good progress but one issue remains

A REPORTER can select from the Projects that have been made PUBLIC and the PRIVATE ones do not show in the initial screen
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (102.11 KiB) Viewed 4929 times
When presented with the next screen, ALL categories or all Projects are displayed in the Category drop down.

How can I restrict Category display to only those under the Public Projects?
cas

Post by cas »

Think this is happening since you left the projects as such Public so they remain visible. It should not show any of the private bugs anyway (is that correct?). If you had opted for my second solution (i.e. marking projects Private), those projects would not show .
KenHorse

Post by KenHorse »

So you're saying if ALL projects were private no categories would be displayed to REPORTERS but since some projects are public they are?
cas

Post by cas »

Yes do think so. Because quite often when creating a project all categories are taken along. I would expect that those categories are also connected to public projects. If that is not the case, i need to investigate this further.
KenHorse

Post by KenHorse »

That defeats the concept of private versus public does it not?

What's the point of having a Project private if it opens up all categories to public view?
cas

Post by cas »

Categories can be shared between private and public projects so it does make sense, also they do not have a label like private or public. Projects & bugs do have that label. I do not think private bugs are shown in that overview, correct?
KenHorse

Post by KenHorse »

I'm thinking maybe the best thing to do is copy the existing database and start over with a new one

Is there a mechanism in Mantis do allow for the creation of a new, unused database?
cas

Post by cas »

Yep, simply remove (or rename) /config/config_inc.php and star all over