Message Of The Day?

General discussion of Mantis.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

Starbuck

Message Of The Day?

Post by Starbuck »

Is there a MOTD feature in Mantis?
Any plugin? (There is no plugin for this listed in the wiki)
Does anyone have an alternative solution?
In Bugzilla there is an option/plugin to rotate any message from a list.

Example screenshot

The problem I'm trying to solve is that most people do not check Main to see if there is anything new. For those who do check it, most of the time there's nothing new there. How do we make it known that there is new information available?

One way is to set $g_default_home_page = 'main_page.php'
But that presents the opposite problem - since there's usually no news I don't want to land all users on that page all the time, forcing them to move away from it. I only really want to lead them to News when there is a reason to go there. Probably the simplest thing is to change the color of the Main navigation button when there is something new there.

I believe the News feature is going to be deprecated. Is anything planned to replace it?

So there are two main questions here: First is about a general purpose messages that occasionally rotate. The second is about a simple way to lead people to news when it's there.

Thanks!
If you want Mantis to work differently, use or create a plugin. Visit the Plugins forums.
Ask developers to create a plugin that you need - and motivate them to help you!
atrol
Site Admin

Re: Message Of The Day?

Post by atrol »

Not exactly what you want, but it should be no big deal to enhance it https://github.com/mantisbt-plugins/Announce
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual
Starbuck

Re: Message Of The Day?

Post by Starbuck »

I just saw that a minute ago, came here to update this ticket ... and here you are.
I'm embarrassed that I had missed this and will update the list of available plugins.
Thanks!
If you want Mantis to work differently, use or create a plugin. Visit the Plugins forums.
Ask developers to create a plugin that you need - and motivate them to help you!