Rqst: Change 'threshold' parameters to Arrays

General discussion of Mantis.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

mgerben

Rqst: Change 'threshold' parameters to Arrays

Post by mgerben »

I have had some problems with Mantis concerning unwanted behaviour.

One of the problems arises from the use of Thresholds. Everything above a certain threshold reacts in the same way.
Example: Access rights, bugs being 'readonly' or 'readwrite'.

I would much rather like to define in exactly which states a bug is readonly.
Same for users: I would like to define rights based on roles, not on access level.

If the thresholds are converted to arrays, I think it should be done together with database-parameterisation of Mantis, no longer with hardcoded parameters.
That will allow for some checks (on workflow or access rights, for example) before changes are made.

It could be implemented in steps; it needn't convert all parameters at once.
vboctor
Site Admin

Post by vboctor »

I was thinking of this sometime ago, and my idea was to allow access control configuration options to be defined as per the following options:

- Array (eg: array( DEVELOPER, MANAGER ) )
- Threshold (eg: DEVELOPER)

The code can then decide based on the type of the config variable, how it should be checked against the current user access level.

However, we need to check that in all areas of the code we check using the access api whether a user has a certain access level, rather than getting the users access level and checking it against a threshold.

Anyway, that was my rough idea. This may also change once we get db_configs in. So we will have to wait and see on this one.

Regards,
Victor Boctor
http://www.futureware.biz
mgerben

arrays vs threshold

Post by mgerben »

I saw there's an issue in Mantis concerning moving the parameters to the database.

If that's done, it does not matter anymore if you have a threshold variable that says 'everything above a certain level' or an array actually containing everything above that level.

With arrays Mantis would become much more powerful; you could program that certain statechanges may or may not be done by certain people, according to their role.

The storage of parameters in the database, and therefore a web-interface to the configurationparameters then becomes absolutely vital, because the number of possible parameter-combinations explodes.
A smart config-interface could protect you from illogical or impossible combinations, just like Mantis has a workflow analysis.
illes

Request already in BT?

Post by illes »

I've searched the Mantis Bug Tracker, but it seems that this request haven't been posted yet.
We also need this feature, I want to convince my company to sponsor this.
thraxisp
Developer

Re: arrays vs threshold

Post by thraxisp »

mgerben wrote:With arrays Mantis would become much more powerful; you could program that certain statechanges may or may not be done by certain people, according to their role.
This is already available in 0.19.2 using the older threshold method. There is a configuration variable ($g_set_status_threshold) that controls who can move an issue to a particular status. From the config_defaults_inc file

Code: Select all

this array sets the access thresholds needed to enter each status listed. 
if a status is not listed, it falls back to $g_update_bug_status_threshold
	# example: $g_set_status_threshold = array( ACKNOWLEDGED => MANAGER, CONFIRMED => DEVELOPER, CLOSED => MANAGER );
On the implementation side, I was hoping to stabilize the config in db changes before adding new features.
vboctor
Site Admin

Post by vboctor »

illes, I suggest you add it to the bugtracker. The discussion in this thread covers several features that are based on the same concept. I suggest you report an issue that covers the exact area you are interested in. For example, access levels, status, ...etc. The scoping of the requirement is very important specially if you are considering sponsoring the feature.

Regards,
Victor
Link your build script to Mantis
http://www.futureware.biz/mantisconnect
mgerben

Re: arrays vs threshold

Post by mgerben »

thraxisp wrote: This is already available in 0.19.2 using the older threshold method. There is a configuration variable ($g_set_status_threshold) that controls who can move an issue to a particular status.
Thraxisp,

That's one of the one's I don't currently use because it's a threshold. It does not specify roles; anyone with a higher threshold can do the desired action.

It's not possible to make an action available for a developer and not for a manager.

For example: I had one manager here who started adding version numbers to projects without consulting the delivery-guy (a developer).
He thought it was his job because Mantis allowed him to do that.
But in my project, the delivery-guy decides on the version number, and managers are not allowed to make up version-numbers.

This manager just has a fairly high threshold which allows him to correct the status of bugs which have been set incorrectly. But his high threshold means he can do a lot of other stuff as well.

The workflow definition is a perfect example of how I would like to see things: It defines the exact state-transitions per status. Imagine how it would be if that contained thresholds...

Arrays allow you to specify exactly what you want and what you don't want. Thresholds say: Above this level, anything goes.

The array-vs-threshold argument goes for most of the threshold-parameters.
thraxisp
Developer

Post by thraxisp »

This feature has been submitted to CVS. There is also a new UI to change most of the workflow related parameters.

Comments are welcome...
illes

Thanks

Post by illes »

Thanks, I'll check it
mikewhit

Other ideas

Post by mikewhit »

Have a look at JIRA http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/ ... troduction for some alternative ideas on bugtracking.
favioagg

Re: Rqst: Change 'threshold' parameters to Arrays

Post by favioagg »

I need to configure my workflow with arrays , but I have been Unsusessful, I know this is a thread from 2005 and it points to and old mantis version, but the features they talk about have eluded me.

Atrol, do you know anything about Change 'threshold' parameters to Arrays? or an example?
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

A lot of parameters are no longer thresholds but arrays in current versions.
The easiest way is to use the various "Manage" pages (e.g. Workflow Thresholds) for configuration instead of using config_inc.php.
There you can set check boxes for role permissions instead of setting just a threshold.
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual
favioagg

Post by favioagg »

I dont know if you understed me, but this screenshot will provide some clear insigth

Here as you can see the "Minimum Access Level to Change to this Status" its a Threshold, I wanna use an array but the interface dont show any options for it. Is it in the new version of mantis 1.3?
favioagg

Post by favioagg »

Its frustating... the $g_set_status_threshold its suposed to be an array but it does not behave like one, I need a 2 dimesional array on this variable simply because there are lower workflow statuses that must NOT be shown to superior access level users.

Any one can help??
favioagg

Post by favioagg »

Atrol, should I make a Bug tracker request for this funcionality? since nobody have an answer, i think will be a good function.

Explained a little:

On the user permision array, there are users who can only report, and others who can report and resolve this issues. But if the user that can report, additionaly can change the status of the issue into, lets say "confirmed", and I dont want the higher permision user to be alowed to "confirm", it still shows "confirmed" as an option on the seleccion box when a developer changes the status of an issue, because on the creation of an issue, "new", is the status assigned, and "confirmed" is a valid state change from "new".

This functionality I am requesting allows to specify what user can put certain statuses, despite ther permision levels.

Any info??