cc Email to Mantis Note

General discussion of Mantis.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

Holf

cc Email to Mantis Note

Post by Holf »

Hi all,

I am a big Mantis fan, having been using it to produce bug reports for a product I am testing. It is by far the best bug tracking environment I have come across.

I have a feature suggestion. Sometimes, when discussing a bug over Email, I find the email content may be relevant to a specific bug which has already been reported on Mantis.

For example, I have just responded to a developer who sent me an email requesting further information on a bug. He used email rather than Mantis because he wanted some non-Mantis users to be aware of the discussion, and wanted to 'cc' them in on the email.
In responding, I also wanted to 'cc' these users. But I also want to record my response in Mantis too.

It occurerd to me: wouldn't it be handy if I could 'cc' Mantis on the email too? For example, I could 'cc' the email to 'mantis.issue73@mantis.acme.com'. The instance of Mantis hosted at mantis.acme.com would receive this email, and copy the email content into a Note which would be added to Issue 73.
And perhaps email attachments could be added as Mantis File Attachments.

This is just one example. There have been a number of instances I have come across when it would be useful to associate email conversations with a particular issue. This seems like a way to do it.

Of course, a mail server of some sort would need to be involved.

I must confess, I am not an experienced Mantis developer and I do not know this community well. If this idea has already been discussed and this is old news then I can only apologise profusely.

Thank you to all responsible for such a fabulous service.

Best

Holf
thraxisp
Developer

Post by thraxisp »

This hasn't been done yet, but there is some example code in #4286.