HTTP 500 Internal server error when submitting a New issue

General discussion of Mantis.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

harish.kabade

HTTP 500 Internal server error when submitting a New issue

Post by harish.kabade »

Hi,
I am getting HTTP 500 Internal server error when submitting a New issue and also while closing an issue.
And when the back button in the browser is clicked , I am being redirected to the previous page.
The New issue is submitted and a defect ID for the same is generated. Same is the case while I am trying to close an issue
The other things are working pretty fine. I tried restarting the Apache server, but it dint help

I am using Mantis BT version : 1.2.6 and this is a old installation and no changes have been done in the recent past. Everything was working fine untill now, but there seems to be a problem now..
Could you please help... Thanks in advance

Regards
Harish Kabade
atrol
Site Admin

Re: HTTP 500 Internal server error when submitting a New iss

Post by atrol »

Did you check your web server, database and PHP error logs?
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual
harish.kabade

Post by harish.kabade »

Hi Atrol,

I couldnt find a PHP log. Could you tell me where can I find it? I have installed Mantis in the following path - C:/ Apache2/htdocs/Mantis.
And please find attached logs that were present in the folder C:/Apache2/logs.
Also I have attached the mysql db log obtained from the Server log
Also observed the errror is occuring when adding a new issue and closing an issue for one particular project defined in Mantis. What could be the reason?
We have a SSL certificate installed for Mantis.[We access mantis using the following : https://servicecentre.keane.com/Mantis/login_page.php]
accesslog_apache.txt
access log_apache web server
(14.12 KiB) Downloaded 682 times
ErrorLog_mysql DB.txt
Error log -mysql db
(11.05 KiB) Downloaded 630 times
accesslog_apache.txt
accesslog_apache.txt
Thanks a lot in advance for your help and guidance
Attachments
error_apache.log
error log _apache
(194.68 KiB) Downloaded 569 times
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

A better place to get support for Apache related issues is a web server forum.

I had a short look at your logfiles.
Seems that someone tried to hack your server on April 27th.
Seems there are problems using your certificate since July 6th, maybe using https is the problem.
Your are using an outdated, buggy and unsecure PHP version 5.3.2.

I strongly recommend to update at least PHP to a newer version. There are various known issues using MantisBT with PHP 5.3.2!
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

harish.kabade wrote: I am using Mantis BT version : 1.2.6
I strongly recommend to update his version to lastest stable 1.2.11.
We fixed a lot of security related issues since 1.2.6.
harish.kabade

Post by harish.kabade »

Hi Atrol,

Thanks for the quick response. However now we dont face an issue while raising a "New" issue, but the problem exists when tried to Close an issue.
As I did mention earlier, this is happening for one particular sub project defined under a main project
Do you still think we need to update PHP and Mantis BT version to 1.2.11? If yes, could you please help me provide with a document/source that tells me about upgrading Mantis.
I referred the URl [http://www.mantisbt.org/manual/manual.i ... rading.php], if you could help me with a more detailed and updated source of information, that helps in upgrading Mantis

Many Thanks in advance for the guidance and help!
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

It's your decision to upgrade MantisBT or to go on using a version with a lot of known issues, some of them related to security.
http://www.mantisbt.org/bugs/changelog_page.php
To upgrade MantisBT read http://www.mantisbt.org/docs/master-1.2 ... LL.UPGRADE and/or file doc/INSTALL of your MantisBT download

Same for PHP
harish.kabade

Post by harish.kabade »

Hi Atrol,

Thanks for all your valuable inputs...As per your suggestion we have decided to go for an upgrade of Mantis to 1.2.12 and PHP [latest is 5.4.4 ]

To upgrade MantisBT read http://www.mantisbt.org/docs/master-1.2 ... LL.UPGRADE and/or file doc/INSTALL of your MantisBT download. Same for PHP
However I understand the process of upgarding Mantis from the link provided above. But can you please let me know a few things on upgarde of PHP.
You have mentioned Same for PHP

Does that mean I will have to do a fresh install of PHP 5.4 on my webserver using the same steps that were used during new install of Mantis ?
I am unable to attach the doc that I used for installing PHP. Its called the "Windows Server Installation Guide For WAMP" (This is the link - http://www.workorderts.com/Virtual_Brai ... article/6/)

Please let me know if I have to do the same for upgrading PHP?
And during the upgrade of Mantis, do I have to input the current DataBase name in the config_inc.php file? Or will I be prompted for the same during upgrade?. I have the periodic backup of database my mantis called "mantisbugtracker" that is taken everyday using mysql admin console

And sorry about asking too many things at one time... :)

Thanks in advance for all your help and guidance..
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

harish.kabade wrote:we have decided to go for an upgrade of Mantis to 1.2.12 and PHP [latest is 5.4.4 ]
1.2.11 is latest stable version of MantisBT, 1.2.12 is in development and not yet released.
There are a few known issues using PHP 5.4.4. If it's no problem for you I recommend to use 5.3.14.
harish.kabade wrote: You have mentioned Same for PHP
Sorry, this was confusing. I should have written:
atrol wrote:It's your decision to upgrade MantisBT or to go on using a version with a lot of known issues, some of them related to security.
Same for PHP
harish.kabade wrote: And during the upgrade of Mantis, do I have to input the current DataBase name in the config_inc.php file?
You can skip the step "run admin/install.php" because there are no database schema changes between version 1.2.6 and 1.2.11 of MantisBT.
harish.kabade

Post by harish.kabade »

Hi Atrol,

Thank you for the valuable inputs. We have finally decided to upgrade mantis to 1.2.11and I have one more question, we are currently using MySQL version 5.5.3.

Will this work fine with Mantis latest version 1.2.11 ? Or is there a need to upgrade MySQL too

Thanks in advance!
harish.kabade

Post by harish.kabade »

Hi Atrol,

PHP version 5.3.14 does not seem to exist on PHP website, they say we upgarde to 5.4.4 or least 5.3.16 .Can we use 5.3.16 instead of 5.3.14 ? Since you mentioned earlier there are a lot of known issues 5.4.4 php version
harish.kabade

Post by harish.kabade »

Hi Atrol,

I am awaiting your reply on the below:

We have finally decided to upgrade mantis to 1.2.11and I have one more question, we are currently using MySQL version 5.5.3

Will this work fine with Mantis latest version 1.2.11 ? Or is there a need to upgrade MySQL too

PHP version 5.3.14 does not exist on PHP website anymore, website says we upgarde to 5.4.4 or least 5.3.16

Can we use 5.3.16 instead of 5.3.14 ? Since you mentioned earlier there are a lot of known issues 5.4.4 php version

Thanks in advance for the much needed help
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

harish.kabade wrote: I am awaiting your reply on the below:
Waiting for my replies is no good idea. My time to help users in forum is limited.
harish.kabade wrote:Can we use 5.3.16 instead of 5.3.14 ?
Yes, just try.
harish.kabade wrote:we are currently using MySQL version 5.5.3
I am not aware that there is a known issue, but I don't have any own experience with this version.