user does not get answer-email

This plugin allows you to report an issue in MantisBT by sending an email to a particular mail account

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

renni

user does not get answer-email

Post by renni »

Hi there

EmailReporting is a great thing.

But I get a problem to which I didn't find an answer here:

an Email to <mailadress> makes a ticket, but the reporter does not get
an Email
- that a ticket was made
- when someone was working on/giving an answer to a ticket
so he does not get emails on this ticket at all.

The registered users preferences when they want to get emails do work though - it cannot be a general
"outgoing mails problem".

Does anyone have an idea what I missed?

Thanks and greets,
Irene
SL-Gundam

Re: user does not get answer-email

Post by SL-Gundam »

EmailReporting has only something to do with the initial reporting of the issue. Since you also have issues while handling the issue it cannot be a general issue with EmailReporting. Might be a combination of configuration options though...

Could be four things in general... maybe more but most often its one of the below four
  1. Users notification settings
  2. Mantis global e-mail notification settings
  3. Configuration option "email_receive_own" which blocks users from getting emails about their own actions
  4. EmailReporting does not mark the proper user as the reporter of the issue
Number one has a minimum severity setting. maybe that is something that is blocking the notification?
Number two has a setting for reporters whether or not they should receive notifications about the "Status changes to 'new'" in combination with "User who reported issue". This one should be enabled so that the user receives an email about his submitted issues. Also this one might have settings on a per project basis so keep that in mind
Number three would be unlikely for you since actions by other users don't generate a notification either if i understand you correctly. This specific setting can be set globally or only for EmailReporting if you so wish
Number four, please have a look at the configuration page for EmailReporting. Specifically the part about "Issue reporter configuration options"

The best wat to test this specific part is to perform the equivalent action through the mantis webinterface. EmailReporting tries to mimic that as closely as possible so when the webinterface generates an email, so should the equivalent action through EmailReporting

Hope this helps
renni

Post by renni »

Hi SL-Gundam

Thank you for your answer.
I think it must have been a misunderstanding from my part.
My idea was that someone can "communicate with mantis" by email without being registered
so he can get information to his ticket without allowance to login to mantis.

As I understand you that is not a possible feature. Is that right?

Greetings,
Irene
SL-Gundam

Post by SL-Gundam »

its possible for users to submit issues by email using EmailReporting even if they don't have a user account.

EmailReporting can either use a default user account ("Mail Reporter") or it can create a new user account based on the email address the email came from.

But like you said, to receive email notifications the user must have a valid user account within MantisBT otherwise this is not possible.
renni

Post by renni »

Ok, thank you again

Would be a nice feature actually - we'd like to use mantis as helpdesk (not bug tracker) but probabely will take another system instead.

Do I have to close this ticket somehow? don't see anything...
SL-Gundam

Post by SL-Gundam »

It might be a nice feature but the Mantis core functions so far do not seem to allow this. Since EmailReporting mainly deals with the initial creation of issues we might be able to add a submit notification but you would still be lacking update notifications when issues are handled. So we opted to allow EmailReporting to create user accounts automatically so that everything would run smoothly. Is there a reason why you do not want to enable the automatic creation of user accounts by EmailReporting?

this is a forum. Its main purpose is discussions and helping people with problems so no ticket to close
arune

Post by arune »

Hello
I'm new to the EmailReporting-plugin and have similar usages as the thread-creater.

What if accounts are created like discussed;
1. The email_receive_own-setting must be on for the reporter to get the first notification that the ticket was created. Right?
2. Also any notification per mail will be sent from mantis with the from_email-setting but that can only be the same address as the EmailReporting mailaddress if there are only one project/EmailReporting address, in other cases then the reporter won't be able to send notes/followups as reply to the notifications.
As an example I'm running a mantis-instance with several project that I want to start using EmailReporting with (product1.helpdesk@org.com, product2.helpdesk@org.com, etc), currently we have the from_email-setting = IssueTracker@org.com but in case a customer replies to that address the reply won't get to the correct project.
Is there any good solution that I cannot see? The only way I see is to set the from_email-setting to noreply@org.com :?

Thanks for your great work with this plugin!
SL-Gundam

Post by SL-Gundam »

alright lets see if can answer all these questions properly...

1. You do not need to enable this in the core mantis settings if you do not want that. EmailReporting has a configuration option on the configuration page called: "Should users receive emails for their own actions (N/A if email_receive_own = ON)". If you enable this, then EmailReporting will temporarily overwrite the core mantis setting while it is running. That way it will not have any effect on your normal MantisBT actions
2. Any email that is send to a EmailReporting mailbox will be checked for an issue number. This is not project related. The project comes only into action when a new issue is created. So create as many mailboxes in EmailReporting as you like and set one of them as the emailaddress from which MantisBT will send emails.
In your example EmailReporting will need to retrieve emails from IssueTracker@org.com aswell or you need to change it to, for example, product1.helpdesk@org.com

Hope this is clear enough. If you have any other questions please let me know
arune

Post by arune »

Thanks for fast reply!

1. Good solution.

2. Aha, the EmailReporting addresses are connected to projects but that does not matter when an issue number is found! So Ill use a generic address as from_email-setting to which the user can reply and set up EmailReporting to fetch that address aswell.
I came up with another solution which did not work: change the from_email-setting per project in the manage configuration section, however, when setting that to anything else than the global option I got no mail at all from mantis for that project. That would have been a nice solution otherwise!
arune

Post by arune »

Hmm, my alternative solution sends mail but the project for each mail is disregarded. I guess get_config does not work when pushing the mailqueue with a cron script.
SL-Gundam

Post by SL-Gundam »

Well MantisBT is weird with per project settings as far as i'm concerned. Often you would expect it to use the project of a specific issue but instead it uses your current active project.

This could cause weird situations if project1 is your active project while you are busy with an issue from project2

the MantisBT from_email setting applies to one of these quirks