Server requirements for Mantis application

General discussion of Mantis.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

Juande

Server requirements for Mantis application

Post by Juande »

Hi all,

We are going to increase significantly the number of users that will use our Mantis server, our estimations are the following: 5000 users; almost 500 concurrent users.
We haven’t found any documentation about server escalation recommendations.

Our server characteristics are the following.
HW: Virtual Server with 4 cores, 8GB RAM, 50GB HD.
SO: Windows 2008 R2
Web Server: IIS 7.7
PHP: 5.2
BBDD: MySQL 5.5 (using the same server)
Mantis Version: 1.122

Please, we were wondering if you could give us some help with the following questions.
1) Could support our server that amount of users? Shall we migrate Mantis to a new server?
2) What should be the requirements of the new server?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Juan
atrol
Site Admin

Re: Server requirements for Mantis application

Post by atrol »

I can't provide a real recommendation as I don't use IIS / Windows and I never run an instance with 500 concurrent users, thus just a few hints.

I woudn't use PHP 5.2 as it's outdated and no longer supported.
In terms of security: Is your plan to run it only in your intranet?

Newer PHP versions provide also better performance.
Ensure that you have installed a PHP byte code cache for older versions (delivered with newer versions)

You write: Mantis Version: 1.122
Such a version does not exist. Maybe you mean 1.1.2

I recommend to use latest stable version (1.2.17 atm) as you might get problems running old Mantis versions with new PHP versions.

Do you really expect 500 concurrent users?
What exactly do you mean with concurrent users? Most of them just logged in and inactive, just a few submitting / viewing issues at the same time?
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual
Juande

Post by Juande »

Hi Atrol,

Thanks indeed for your reply!

We are using Mantis in our Intranet. We will consider your recommendation of Php upgrade, but as you said, we also should migrate our Mantis 1.1.2, and for several reasons it is not an easy task.

About concurrent users, we are almost sure in our estimations. We launched a similar process (with other tool and a more powerful server) some time ago; we reached more than 400 concurrent users (logged and submitting issues almost at the same time).

Regards and thanks in advance,
Juan
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

Let's assume
- there are 400 concurrent users submitting an issue nearly the same time.
- the average time to submit an issue is 5 minutes
- your working day is 8 hours, 5 days a week

--> 400*(60/5)*8 = 38400 issues/day = 192000 issues/week = 9984000 issues/year
Is this the traffic you expect?
Juande

Post by Juande »

Hi,

Thanks again for your reply.

I beg your pardon, I didn’t explained it rightly.

It’s a two weeks process, and during these two weeks each user must submit 2 issues, as we have almost 5000 users, so ~5000*2 = ~10000 issues in two weeks, this is what we expect.

Unfortunately there is not a lineal distribution, most of our users used to wait till the end of the period to submit their two issues. So during the last days of the period, we expect peaks of more than 400 concurrent users submitting issues. Really, these peaks are our our main concern, we want to know if our current server will be able to support this amount of concurrent users. Right now our server is working well, but without dealing with huge concurrent users peaks, usually there is no more than 10 concurrent users.

**Note: To mitigate these issues, with other tools, we defined several process end dates (between 5 to 7) in order to reduce the number of users per end date. We reached 400 concurrent users with this approach, and that means that the process needs three weeks instead of two weeks, we can not delay it more time.

Thanks in advance,
Juan
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

Do you expect that your users will add attachments to the issues?
If so, you should be aware that you will get about 25GB of attachments in one year if the average attachments size is 100KB.

I can't tell you some real thing about the expected peak, as I don't have similar experience and do not know how PHP works under IIS.
It might be challenging as memory could become short if each user uses one process or thread that consumes some MB of RAM.
Juande

Post by Juande »

Hi Atrol,

Thank you anyway.

Is there anyone with experience in Mantis+IIS+PHP who can help me on this?

Do you have a similar Mantis server? Please, could you share with me your server characteristics and the concurrent user peaks that you have reached without problems?

I will really appreciate your help.

Best regards,
juan
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

I recommend to write to the "Help Mailing List" http://www.mantisbt.org/mailinglists.php where more users and developers are listening.
AFAIK there is one core developer (grangeway) who is running his instance on Windows.

We have more than 26000 users on http://www.mantisbt.org/bugs but there are just a few concurrent users entering issues (of course there are some more viewing, but not hundreds at the same time)
Also my own servers don't have such kind of concurrent user peaks.
Juande

Post by Juande »

Hi Atrol,

Thanks for your reply. I have just sent a e-mail to "help mailing list", my e-mail it is enclosed below. If I get a solution I will add the information here then it may help other users.

Best regards,
Juan

We were wondering if you can help us, mailing list is our last chance after use Mantis forum. All the information is at this forum post:
http://www.mantisbt.org/forums/viewtopi ... =2&t=22070

I will try to summarize what our problem is.

We are using Mantis for bug tracking, its running without problem, but we are considering using this application & server during 2 weeks for another special process. That means that we are going to increase significantly the number of Mantis users during these 3 weeks, our estimations are the following: 5000 users; almost 500 concurrent users.

Each user must submit 2 issues, as we have almost 5000 users, so ~5000*2 = ~10000 issues in 2 weeks, this is what we expect. Unfortunately there is not a lineal distribution, most of our users used to wait till the end of 2 weeks period to submit their two issues. So during the last days of the period, we expect peaks of more than 400 concurrent users submitting issues**. Really, these peaks are our main concern; we want to know if our current server will be able to support this amount of concurrent users. Right now our server is working well, but without dealing with huge concurrent users peaks, usually there are no more than 10 concurrent users.
We haven’t found any documentation about server escalation recommendations, we have gotten a great support at Mantis forum, but unfortunately there is no answer for our question.

Our server characteristics are the following.
HW: Virtual Server with 4 cores, 8GB RAM, 50GB HD.
SO: Windows 2008 R2
Web Server: IIS 7.7
PHP: 5.2
BBDD: MySQL 5.5 (using the same server)
Mantis Version: 1.1.2

Please, we were wondering if you could give us some help with the following questions.
1) Could support our server that amount of users? Shall we migrate Mantis to a new server?
2) What should be the requirements of the new server?

It’s a two weeks process, and during these two weeks

Thanks,
Juan

**Note: Last years, to mitigate these issues (with other tools) we defined several process end dates (between 5 to 7) in order to reduce the number of users per end date. We reached 400 concurrent users with this approach, and that means that the process needs three weeks instead of two weeks, we cannot delay it more time.
beck2929

Post by beck2929 »

Do we have any update on this important topic? Did you get any feedback for you server configuration?