Permission to launch redesigned version of Mantis

General discussion of Mantis.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

nsrivastava2

Permission to launch redesigned version of Mantis

Post by nsrivastava2 »

I have been working on Mantis and have been big fan of it, but after using Fogbugz I felt that Mantis needs major UI overhaul to match Fogbugz. So I have redesigned Mantis and have implemented few other features to it.

I plan to launch this system with a separate name as a fork of Mantis. Basic engine will always remain of Mantis and I will keep the credit for the same in the code and description.

Do I have permission to launch such a system ? If yes, then is there anything but GLP License to be followed. The version I plan to launch will also be Open Source.

Regards,

Nitin Srivastava
atrol
Site Admin

Re: Permission to launch redesigned version of Mantis

Post by atrol »

Why do you want to fork instead of contributing to MantisBT ?
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

You should post to mantis-dev mailing list http://www.mantisbt.org/mailinglists.php where more core developers are listening.
nsrivastava2

Post by nsrivastava2 »

atrol wrote:Why do you want to fork instead of contributing to MantisBT ?
atrol: I do not have anything against MantisBT. Its awesome, but the changes I want to do in the system may or may not be in line with their bigger plans. I am working with my team to change MantisBT such that in future it might support Templating. This would give people a open hands to change the UI. I have faced a lot of issues during design change. I have always believed that no matter whether you are selling the best pie in the world, but if its not dressed properly, people may not use it at the first go.

Fogbugz launched themselves with a very easy to use UI and configuration panel. I am just looking forward to make Mantis as easy to configure and use as Fogbugz.
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

I don't think that this is far away from what most of the MantisBT contributors want.

Having templates and a better UI is something with high priority.
    There is just not enough developer time to get it done.
    I think that you and your team will be welcome to contribute to MantisBT.

For example have a look at
    http://www.mantisbt.org/bugs/view.php?id=4227 and all related issues
    https://github.com/mantisbt/mantisbt/wiki/Style-Guide
    http://www.mantisbt.org/wiki/doku.php/m ... grievances
    cesarizu

Post by cesarizu »

I've been trying to post a patch to the mailing list that (partially) implements support for templates. This patches are for the 1.3.X branch (I haven't tried them on the 1.2.X branch). This is the state of this patches:
    • Smarty 2 is used
    • Currently most of html_api.php is converted to an smarty template found at templates/default/main.tpl
    • There's are subtemplates for some of the html_api.php functions. These keep the same names as the functions with the exception of print_menu that is html_menu.tpl
    • Theres a new $g_template global variable that defines the template directory to be used.
      ob_start was needed to cache the output of every page so it can be added to the template. This means that pages will not be output until the very end.
    As I said before, this is work-in-progress and I would like to have some feedback to know if this is viable or not. A second patch adds a different theme I'm planning to use to integrate mantis with RhodeCode.
    cesarizu

Post by cesarizu »

Attachments
    Mantis_RhodeCode.png
    Mantis_RhodeCode.png (148.34 KiB) Viewed 8863 times
    cas

Post by cas »

Nitin,
    what featurees did you add? Was that as plugins or as changes to the basecode?
    Would like to have a view of your development, is that possible?
    nsrivastava2 wrote:I have been working on Mantis and have been big fan of it, but after using Fogbugz I felt that Mantis needs major UI overhaul to match Fogbugz. So I have redesigned Mantis and have implemented few other features to it.