Forum SPAM Crackdown

Global announcements, rules, administrative notes, etc.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

chillax
Site Admin

Forum SPAM Crackdown

Post by chillax »

Due to the prevalence of SPAM bot posts I have started taking more aggressive measures to combat them. You should hopefully notice a significant decline in the SPAM postings on these forums due to this. There are several additional levels of enforcement that may be applied if necessary. I will try to limit the amount of noticeable changes to the forums while maximizing reduction in SPAM posts for your convenience.

I have also begun a cleanup effort to remove the SPAM bot user accounts that were created in the past and have been left behind to pollute our member list. During this process some innocent user accounts may be deleted. If this occurs to you, recreate your account and send me a PM to inform me of the mistake so that future SPAM bot detection can be improved. The only reason an account may be deleted on accident is if it fits the profile of a potential SPAM bot account and has no posting activity. The easiest way to avoid this is to be an active member of this forum!

Thank you for your patience as we attempt to provide a more productive forum for the Mantis user community.
vboctor
Site Admin

Post by vboctor »

Thanks a lot Chillax for your help with handling spam on the forum. I've finally found the cause of trackback spam on my blog, so this should solve this one as well. I'm really happy now :)

Regards,
Victor
chillax
Site Admin

Post by chillax »

No problem Victor, glad to help.

If you are having trouble creating an account on this forum, please drop in to our IRC channel and request assistance there. We are located on Freenode in #mantishelp
dingfelder

Post by dingfelder »

there has been a lot of spam recently on the forums.

I'm windering if upgrading phpBB might solve it?

And maybe there is a pettern to the spammers IP addresses, so they could ge blocked?
ikutluay

Post by ikutluay »

dingfelder wrote:there has been a lot of spam recently on the forums.

I'm windering if upgrading phpBB might solve it?

And maybe there is a pettern to the spammers IP addresses, so they could ge blocked?
i hate damn spammers
Griswald

Post by Griswald »

I have upgraded from phpBB2 to phpBB3 on a game community forum and noticed that it is much better at controlling spam. I have gone from spending 5-10 minutes a day dealing with spam to less than 1-2 accounts/messages per week.

Cheers!
chillax
Site Admin

Post by chillax »

Thanks for the feedback. We will look into doing that.
rohit147

Post by rohit147 »

One more way to deal with spam posts will be disabling posting of URLs on the post itself. This has really helped my own forum a lot.
vzw614

Re: Forum SPAM Crackdown

Post by vzw614 »

Looks like it's time to rethink the spam controls. The "Help" forum was overrun by spam on 06/01/08.
Ati

Post by Ati »

[quote="vzw614"]Looks like it's time to rethink the spam controls. The "Help" forum was overrun by spam on 06/01/08.[/quote]

You haven't seen the "Polls" forum recently, have you? ;)
deboutv

Post by deboutv »

Is it possible to remove all the spam?

Thanks
Jocelyn

Post by Jocelyn »

[quote="Ati"]You haven't seen the "Polls" forum recently, have you? ;)[/quote]

vboctor removed the "Polls forum" today, thus removing lots of spam messages :-)
deboutv

Post by deboutv »

[quote="Jocelyn"][quote="Ati"]You haven't seen the "Polls" forum recently, have you? ;)[/quote]

vboctor removed the "Polls forum" today, thus removing lots of spam messages :-)[/quote]

Yes, now we have spam in all other forums...
deboutv

Post by deboutv »

Please do not moderate "old" members, "old" members already proved you that they're not sending spam.
Want more plugins to customize Mantis?
=> http://deboutv.free.fr/mantis/

Mantis: 1.1.0, 1.1.0a2
PHP: 5.0.4
SQL: MySQL 5.0.19
vboctor
Site Admin

Post by vboctor »

deboutv, I've created a contributors group which doesn't get moderated. Members that typically help with answer others will get added to this group and won't be moderated. Please test and let me know if it works for you.
Migrate your MantisBT to the MantisHub Cloud