Does anyone use Mantis as a task manager?

Post about your customizations to share with others.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

janine

Does anyone use Mantis as a task manager?

Post by janine »

I'm wondering what customizations people have made to turn Mantis into less of a bug tracker and more of a task tracker. Obviously the project and issue types need a bit of tweaking, and I'll probably have to add a custom field for due date. I'm just wondering what other folks have done, if anyone is doing this?

thanks,

janine
janine

Post by janine »

To get things going, this is the sort of thing I have in mind. Has anyone done something like this?

I would like the user to choose when reporting a new issue if it is a bug report or an action request (aka a task). If it's a bug report they would fill in fields like Reproducibility. If it's a task, those would go away and would be replaced with things like due date.

My View would have a section for tasks coming due soon, and other reports would have to change similarly.
dingfelder

enhancement

Post by dingfelder »

This is also similar to the issue revolving entering new enhancements requests (known as "features" here for some reason).

The way it was implemented in mantis was to add a "severity" of feature, (which makes no sense to me) I assume this was just the easiest way to cram enhancement requests into the existing defect system.

What makes sense to me is you would a *classification* field, made up of 3 options:
  • Defect
  • Enhancement Request
  • Task
If you choose Defect, then Severity makes sense so it would be a required field. For Task and Enhancment, it would not apply.

Priority makes sense for all 3 classifications so it would show up for all 3.

Ideally, each field would be configurable as to if it applied for a given classifiation.

I realize this is not how mantis presently works.

I'm just presenting how it could be implemented better.
thraxisp
Developer

Post by thraxisp »

Could you please file your comments in a feature request at http://bugs.mantisbt.org/ ?
--
Glenn Henshaw Logical Outcome Ltd.
Mantis developer and user w: http://www.logicaloutcome.ca
onad

There is work in progress to FULLY integrate dotProject.net

Post by onad »

There is work in progress to FULLY integrate dotProject.net
( http://www.dotproject.net ) with Mantis, I sponsor the issue since this is IMHO a better way to manage your projects.
jpo

Mantis in Dotproject

Post by jpo »

That's exactly what i would like to have : mantis integrated into dotprojet (the ticket thing of dotproject should not even exists). There is not a lot of information about this task on dotproject.com...
Reinder

Post by Reinder »

As far as I know, they do want to integrate Mantis with Dotproject (discussion on the dotproject forum) however, they do not have enough sponsorship yet. So maybe Mantis and Dotproject can both raise the sponsors for this?
Cas

Dotproject integration

Post by Cas »

I have this working with dotproject version 2.01. Could use some people to test this further. So if you are interested, drop me a note http://www.nuy.info.

Here is how it works :
How to install this Integration between Dotproject and Mantis ?

Versions tested:
Dotproject 2.01
Mantis 1.0.1

There is support for different databases.

1. Copy the contents of this package into the root of your Dotproject installation.
There are 2 files being overwriiten :
modules/projects/view.php
modules/tasks/view.php
In these files only one Tab is added, nothing else.

2. Copy docs/mantis/index_dp.php into the root of your mantis installation

3. Add the contents of docs/mantis/config.txt to includes/config.php (inside your Dotproject installation)
4. Now adjust those settings to your environment, the settings are described in config.txt
5. Go !!!!!!!!!

How does it work ?
Within DP, you will find a Tab called Mantis when looking at Projects or Tasks.
For each DP project, a Mantis project will be created when the first issue is added.
Depending on your settings (see point 4), this module can create sub-projects for Tasks.
Default behavior is to show all issues under one project.

Projects in Mantis are created with a special name :
1. Prefix as defined in cinfig.php
2. DP-project-id
3. dot
4. DP-task-id
5. Space
6. DP-project-name
if set to project/sub_project:
7. <->
8. DP-task-name

On the tab all issues related to the project/task will be shown with the following information:
1. Issue-id in Mantis
2. Date-Time reported
3. Reporter of issue
4. Status
5. Summary
6. Description
The summary actually is a hyperlink which takes you straight into Mantis to maintain the issue.

There is also a button which allows you to add an issue to the project/task. All you need to fill in is the Summary and the description. Upon saving the issue is stored in Mantis.
The current DP-user is checked by username in Mantis. If this person does not exist, a user record is created in Mantis.
An email for direct access to Mantis with the password will be send to this user (if configured).
The current project/task is checked and if it does not yet exists, it will be created.
For the issue the following items are recorded :
1. Project-id
2. Reporter-id
3. Summary
4. Description
5. Date-submitted
6. Date-last-updated
All other activity is left within Mantis.

ToDo:
1. Verifying other password encryptions than just PLAIN
walter

Re: Dotproject integration

Post by walter »

Cas wrote:Here is how it works :

1. Copy the contents of this package into the root of your Dotproject installation.
What package?

Where can I get it?

walter
cas

Post by cas »

You can download it at http://www.nuy.info

Cas
cas

Post by cas »

I have updated this integration(version 0.2) such that it does not need any changes to standard Dotproject files. Comes with a standard setup and is more compliant with the DP framework.
Download available at:
http://casnuy.com/pn761/index.php?name= ... &req=getit& lid=19

Cas
dingfelder

sourceforge version

Post by dingfelder »

rpc integration of mantis to dotProject is available here:

http://docs.dotproject.net/index.php/Mantis_Integration
code4fun

Time tracking

Post by code4fun »

In the dotProject/Mantis integration how does time tracking works on the mantis tasks from dotProject.

Stuff like Initial Estimate, Remaining time, Work time, Expected Start/Finish, Actual Start/Finish ?
cas

Post by cas »

There is no integration for the time tracking in my code.
Cas
rasmusskjoldan

Re: Does anyone use Mantis as a task manager?

Post by rasmusskjoldan »

janine wrote:I'm wondering what customizations people have made to turn Mantis into less of a bug tracker and more of a task tracker.
We've primarily just costumized the status names to turn it into a task tracker alongside the bug tracking. I use it extensively to delegate all tasks in my company of 6 people - and I'm very happy with it. It's kind of a shared GTD task manager for us - sharing GTD context categories.