How to manage projects shared by different customers ?

Post about your customizations to share with others.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

buteau

How to manage projects shared by different customers ?

Post by buteau »

Our project organisation is the following :
We provide different applications (lets call them App1, App2, .. AppN) to differents customers (lets call them Customer1, ..., CustomerN).
- 1 project Manager is in charge of AppN
- 1 project Manager is in charge of CustomerN

Of course all customers use differents subset of applications , which in turn may be used by different subset of customers.
For instance :
- Customer1 uses App1, App5, AppN
- Customer 2 uses App1, App3, AppN
- CustomerN uses App3, AppN

What do we need ?
We want to see problems lists like either like Customer or like an Application Developper.

For instance I would like to :
- get all bugs/requests for App1
- get all bugs/request done by CustomerN

How should I use MANTIS and organize my projects to have such a double "perspective view " ?

I'm open to any suggestion(using custom fields, subprojects , etc ..) !!

Thanks for your help
deboutv

Re: How to manage projects shared by different customers ?

Post by deboutv »

Nothing special, each applications is a project and then you can use the View Issues page to see all bugs in a specific application or see all bugs reported by a customer.
Want more plugins to customize Mantis?
=> http://deboutv.free.fr/mantis/

Mantis: 1.1.0, 1.1.0a2
PHP: 5.0.4
SQL: MySQL 5.0.19
buteau

Post by buteau »

As a real user I gave only part of the requirements ! Sorry !

1) A customerN is in reality represented by various people, each one having a MANTIS account.
As I don't think it is possible to regroup users in "users groups", it is painful (and quite impossible in our case as we have hundreds of users) to get all the bug s for customerN , as It would oblige to successfully View bugs for account1, then for account2, etc ....

2) Moreover, I would like to benefit from the Synthesis statistics done by MANTIS to be able to :
- get the number (and the status) of bugs for customerN
- get the number (and the status) of bugs for applicationM

With these new requirements, do you think there is a way to do this within MANTIS ?
cembree

Post by cembree »

Unless I missed something.... ... this should be pretty easy.

Create a project for each customer. Make it Private via Manage | Manage Projects
Create a user(s) for each client.
Assign the appropriate uses(s) to each project as needed.

Your staff can be assigned to all projects and see them all. Customers will see only the issues/bugs for the projects they are assigned to.

To report: just group by project or print issues/bugs for only 1 project at a time.

Did I miss something important? :wink:

EDIT: It looks like I did miss 1 thing for sure. Different customers using the same App.....options:
If they are allowed to see all of the issues/bugs for the app, just assign them as mentioned above.
If each customer, must see only their issues/bugs for shared apps, use the category to track your application instead of the project name. IE: You'd create a project named for the customer instead of the app. Then create and assign (as needed) categories that describe your applications. When a customer submits a bug, they enter the category ( = app) that it's related to. You can view bugs from the View page and select based on category, then export that to Word or Excel.

Make sense? :?:
andrejusc

Post by andrejusc »

Hi cembree,

You last suggestion "You'd create a project named for the customer instead of the app" doesn't make sense for me. If I have a collection of tools, which are used/shared by different customers - I don't want to create project names by customers, but by an app instead.

Categories will not help here as well, cause their main purpose is to divide my tool/app into components and thus their usage in different way will complicate whole picture.

What I'm personally missing due to this request is User Groups support. Then with them you would be able to reflect particular customer and have additional view By Group (i.e. by customer). Such ability (groups) exists in phpBugTracker, but don't know why not in Mantis.

If it's not in the implementation plans - they I'll add that functionality probably myself during this month, cause whole solution is pretty good, but lacks exactly this functionality for me.
buteau

Post by buteau »

Hello again

What are the news about a possible impletantion of user groups within MANTIS ?
I agree that it will solve the problem