Report to sub-project?

Post about your customizations to share with others.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

Blue Ninja

Report to sub-project?

Post by Blue Ninja »

Hello all,

I use Mantis for several applications with sub-projects. Often, myself and other managers, reporters, etc. will select the parent project so the My View and View Issues pages will show us everything open for the project as a whole - including all sub-projects. Often, a parent issue will be created for the overall project, while child issues with details specific to sub-projects will be assigned to those sub-projects.

When reporting an issue, we currently have to switch to a specific sub-project, report the issue, then switch back to the overall project to view everything again.

I believe it would be helpful if, when reporting an issue to a project with sub-projects, a drop-down list was available on the Report Issue page, similar to the project list drop-down. But instead of switching the currently selected project to view, it would only control the project to which the issue applied. This way, we could still have our view settings to the overall project, but still report directly to sub-projects without switching back and forth.

This list might be identified as "Report issue to project: [dropdown list]", where the drop-down list defaults to the parent project, but also contains all child projects. If a sub-project is already selected and has no sub-projects, this list would not need to be displayed at all.

Any thoughts?
Blue Ninja

Post by Blue Ninja »

Aww, am I really the only person who'd find this helpful? :-)
rhutchinson

I agree!

Post by rhutchinson »

Yes, this would definitely be helpful. We lose bugs all the time because someone didn't realize (or even know) they were submitting to the wrong project.

Explicitly requiring them to choose it (and defaulting to the one they are in) would be helpful.
code4fun

Post by code4fun »

Hello,

Yes this would be helpful. But then there is a long way to get it into Mantis :cry:

code4fun.
Blue Ninja

Post by Blue Ninja »

code4fun wrote:Hello,

Yes this would be helpful. But then there is a long way to get it into Mantis
I don't think it would be too hard - I wish I had more time to work on it myself. The same function that makes the drop-down project list can make it again for the Report Bug page, and that can be used to set the Project ID being reported to, instead of the currently selected project. Conceptually, it should be simple :-)
vboctor
Site Admin

Post by vboctor »

Just note that once you select a sub-project, the versions, categories, statuses, etc must reflect those of the sub-project that you selected.
Migrate your MantisBT to the MantisHub Cloud
Blue Ninja

Post by Blue Ninja »

vboctor wrote:Just note that once you select a sub-project, the versions, categories, statuses, etc must reflect those of the sub-project that you selected.
Good point. Perhaps use JavaScript or something to re-load the report form with the proper values if the sub-project selection changes? Or instead of a drop-down list of the project to report to, a list of the current project and its sub-projects should be shown as the first step, then go to the report page with the proper stuff set as mentioned above.

I like the first option, though perhaps the dependency on JavaScript is undesirable - any thoughts on that?