multiple watchers

Post about your customizations to share with others.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

dingfelder

multiple watchers

Post by dingfelder »

I would like to be able to set multiple people in a distribution list for a defect automatically.

for example, I have 3 develoopers working in a particular project, so for any new bug in that area, all should get emails.

also, I would like to be able to add multiple people to a distribution list later as well.

Does either 1.0.7 or 1.1 handle this type of feature?
ed

Post by ed »

For an answer to your first question, have a look at $g_notify_flags in config_defaults_inc.php and make any customisations to config_inc.php

You can also configure Mantis to have A person assigned to an issue if a specific category has been selected when an issue is being reported.
dingfelder

so...

Post by dingfelder »

so, if I am hearing you correctly, you are restricted to one person on a notification list?
ed

Post by ed »

You can notify all accounts with a certain access level.
You can set one account to be assigned an issue when it has been reported. That account could be an email alias for other users.

There has been numerous discussions over the pros vs cons of having more than one indivdual assigned as responsible for an issue.
dingfelder

consesnus

Post by dingfelder »

There has been numerous discussions over the pros vs cons of having more than one indivdual assigned as responsible for an issue.
I assume the consensus was that the better approach was "one individual" rather than many?

The biggest issue we have with the current system as I understand it is that there are only 3 methods to get a notification:

1. Be the automatically notified individual (or a group using an alisas) based upon category for a project
2. Be the person who creates the ticket
3. Be a person who clicks the "monitor this ticket" button.

The missing piece is if I want someone else to monitor a ticket.

For example, if I am the developer who automatically gets notified about a ticket, and I decide that I want my manager or some other co-worker to also be notified about the ticket I am working on, I have to get them to log in, view the ticket and hit the monitor buttion themself.
ed

Post by ed »

Yes, the general consensus was that an issue should be the reponsibility / accountability of one person.

$g_notify_flags will allow you to configure something where, for example, every developer can be informed when a new issue is created.

You could also send a reminder to multiple users, though you would need to do that manually.
dingfelder

Post by dingfelder »

I think $g_notify_flags would be overkill as some developers are on other unrelated projects so they don't need to be notified.

Can you clarify what you mean by manually sending a reminder to other users? Perhaps there is functionality that I am not aware of.
ed

Post by ed »

dingfelder wrote:I think $g_notify_flags would be overkill as some developers are on other unrelated projects so they don't need to be notified.
This can be set per project. Manage -> Manage Configuration -> Email Notifications. You can not have a 'gap' between access levels that you want to tick on. Should make more sense when you test the settings.
dingfelder wrote:Can you clarify what you mean by manually sending a reminder to other users? Perhaps there is functionality that I am not aware of.
If you have $g_bug_reminder_threshold, when you view an issue there will be a link under the main menu bar called 'Send a reminder'