Notification of new issues

Get help from other users here.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

Erichero

Notification of new issues

Post by Erichero »

Hi.

We're trying to find a way to get an email notification when a new issue is added. Is there a feature already available in the system, or do we need to modify code to get this?

We're using v1.1.1
Erichero

Re: Notification of new issues

Post by Erichero »

Any ideas on this? Or do we need to develop it manually?
Wasabi

Post by Wasabi »

I have the same question...
jb_mantis

Post by jb_mantis »

In 1.1.2, this should happen automatically if you have configured the "Email Notifications" page correctly under the Manage Configuration section of mantis. I believe you need to make sure the access group you want to receive the notification has a checkbox for the option about "issue changed to status of new".
-Joe
Mantis Version: 1.1.2
Disclaimer: Answers are based on the Mantis version above and may be inaccurate for newer/older versions which may have different configuration options and/or functionality.
Erichero

Post by Erichero »

Is it tricky to upgrade from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2? I made several customisations to the look and feel and am nervous about spending time upgrading when I only need a small feature.

My alternative then is to program it into the PHP? Any tips on where to start?
jb_mantis

Post by jb_mantis »

I can't help you there, we started with 1.1.2 and if it ain't broke, usually don't upgrade.

In 1.1.2 the option you need is on the Manage -> Manage Configuration -> Email Notifications page.
There should be an option named " Status changes to 'new' ". If you check the box for this row under the appropriate user, that user will get a notification when a issue is created (or if it's status is something other than new and then gets changed back to new, which shouldn't happen).
I don't know if this option was in 1.1.1 but if it is, that's all you need.
-Joe
Mantis Version: 1.1.2
Disclaimer: Answers are based on the Mantis version above and may be inaccurate for newer/older versions which may have different configuration options and/or functionality.
Uwe

Post by Uwe »

Hi,

I had the same problem in 1.1.2 and still have it in Mantis 1.1.5.
I made some debug effort and found out something interesting:
In email_api.php there is a function called "email_notify_flag(...)" which is used to find out the minimum and maximum threshold for a user notification.
It' s called from here:
function email_collect_recipients( $p_bug_id, $p_notify_type ) {
$t_threshold_min = email_notify_flag( $p_notify_type, 'threshold_min' );
$t_threshold_max = email_notify_flag( $p_notify_type, 'threshold_max' );
}
The interesting thing is that asking for the minimum or maximum threshold always returns the default threshold for these values although I configured the values in config_inc.php:
$g_notify_flags['new']['threshold_min'] = REPORTER;
$g_notify_flags['new']['threshold_max'] = ADMINISTRATOR;
Looks like that "email_notify_flag(...)" is not able to get the configured values.

I can resolve that problem by setting the default values in config_inc.php like:
$g_default_notify_flags = array('reporter' => ON,
'handler' => ON,
'monitor' => ON,
'bugnotes' => ON,
'threshold_min' => REPORTER,
'threshold_max' => ADMINISTRATOR);
and in addition remove the default_notify_flags configuration from the configuration page (Manage -> Manage Configuration).

Ok, it's working now but I really would like to know what's going wrong in "email_notify_flag(...)".
Anybody with an idea ?

--Uwe
Uwe

Post by Uwe »

Turns out to be much simpler!
It's sufficient to remove the "default_notify_flags" configuration from the configuration page (Manage -> Manage Configuration -> Configuration Report ).
No entries regarding the notify flags have to be made in config_inc.php.
Looks like that "default_notify_flags" configuration from the Configuration Report overrides the values set in the Email Notifications page( (Manage -> Manage Configuration -> Email Notifications).
Can anybody acknnowledge?

--Uwe
VoodooPriest

Post by VoodooPriest »

Uwe wrote: Can anybody acknnowledge?
I had the same issue: when using my own account (manager), I get (as the admin) an e-mail notification for issues that I create. But I realized yesterday that the first issue ever to be created on our system by a user hasn't triggered any notifications. I've removed the default_notify_flags (after saving the value in a file) and I'll see whether that helps.
Thank you for reporting the results of your investigation. It helped me even years after when the documentation didn't explain everything.