Installation Problem on MacOS

Get help from other users here.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

rlaurb

Installation Problem on MacOS

Post by rlaurb »

I am a first time user. I could really use some help, because I'm getting so frustrated I'm about to give up on mantisbt. And I haven't even gotten it installed yet.

Configuration:
Mac Mini running MacOS X
macOS X version : 10.11.6 (this server doesn't support 10.12.x)
macOS X Server version: 5.2
PHP version: 5.5.38 (as installed by Apple)
mySQL version: 5.6.34 (which is apparently the right version for macOS 10.11.6)
mantisbt version: 2.3.1

Running admin/install.php from Safari on my desktop computer, I find that the Pre-installation Check is all GOOD, but "Attempting to connect to database as admin" fails with "Does administrative user have access to the database? (No such file or directory.)" [see attached screen shot]

I tried going to the server, running mysql and creating the database manually ("create database bugtracker;"), which succeeded, but makes no difference to the install.php script.

Can you help?

Rick Aurbach
rlaurb

Re: Installation Problem on MacOS

Post by rlaurb »

More information:
I'm not a PHP programmer, but I've been trying to read and understand install.php. And it looks broken. It appears to me that phase 2 of the installation attempts to connect to a specific database (default name: bugtracker) which (for a new installation) does not exist. BUT, when it finds that it doesn't exist, it EXISTS rather than simply recording that fact and moving on (all this is around line 400 of install.php).

But there is also something I obviously don't understand about mySQL, because it doesn't seem to be working right. I say this because if I manually create the 'bugtracker' database, the connect that install.php does continues to fail (with a file not found error), while manual commands show something completely different:

Code: Select all

Last login: Sun Apr 23 13:40:48 on ttys000
Prospero:~ server$ cd /usr/local/mysql
Prospero:mysql server$ bin/mysql -h localhost -u server -p bugtracker
Enter password: 
Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 340
Server version: 5.6.34 MySQL Community Server (GPL)

Copyright (c) 2000, 2016, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.

Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation and/or its
affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective
owners.

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement.

mysql> show databases;
+--------------------+
| Database           |
+--------------------+
| information_schema |
| bugtracker         |
| mysql              |
| performance_schema |
| test               |
+--------------------+
5 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select database();
+------------+
| database() |
+------------+
| bugtracker |
+------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> show grants;
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Grants for server@localhost                                                                                                              |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'server'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD '*54AE4074CD6508AD067FCBD8A9D64A8BFEF5F575' WITH GRANT OPTION |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> QUIT
Bye
Prospero:mysql server$ 
I'm completely confused. I've spent a week on this and can't even get Mantis installed. I am wondering why I should devote any more time to this problem, since there are other bug tracker systems out there.
swood

Post by swood »

I'm having this issue too. Have you had any more luck?
swood

Post by swood »

AHA! I figured it out! I had been trying to use localhost as the hostname. I decided that I really didn't want to bother with sockets so i changed the database user's host to be 127.0.0.1, and then in the hostname on the install page did this: 127.0.0.1:33066 because my port number isn't the default 3306 that the configuration expected. This worked like a charm.
eduardogt

Post by eduardogt »

Today I downloaded mantis, and found myself in this same problem, with Fedora 24 and MariaDB. I can confirm that using 127.0.0.1 in url as 'host' field in form, instead of localhost, did the trick as well with my environment. This should be addressed by mantis team 8O . By the way, don't forget to setup the password for user @ 127.0.0.1.
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

eduardogt wrote:This should be addressed by mantis team 8O .
At the moment it's not clear to me that anything is wrong in Mantis. What should be changed?
Are you able to connect to MariaDB using the command line when setting host to localhost?
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual
lemantisgris

Post by lemantisgris »

I just spent hours trying to get this to work on my MBP. I can confirm 'localhost' always returns as an error, while '127.0.0.1'. Can't tell you why, just know I made that one change and I'm happy now.