Upgrading old Mantis to latest Mantis

Get help from other users here.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

nlangenb

Upgrading old Mantis to latest Mantis

Post by nlangenb »

Hi,

we are running a very old Mantis version which still works perfectly! However our system administrator wants to replace the machine that is running Mantis.
I hope you can help me with the upgrade traject. Most important question is, can our database be migrated to the latest MySQL version? The system administrator said he would prefer to SQL (because of nightly backups), so that's also a question.

First the current environment:
Windows 2003 enterprise 32-bit
IIS 6.0
Mantis 0.19.2
MySQL server 4.1
PHP 4.3.9

This will be the new environment:
Windows 2012 R2 64-bit
IIS 8
Mantis 1.3.3 (latest version)
SQL 2012 or MySQL 5.7 (latest version) or if 5.5 if that is preferred by Mantis 1.3.3
PHP 7.0.13 (latest version) or if 5.6.28 if that is preferred by Mantis 1.3.3

To summarize the questions:
1. Is it possible to migrate the current MySQL 4.1 database to a SQL 2012 database?
and/or
2. Is it possible to migrate the current MySQL 4.1 database to the latest MySQL 5.7 version?

Thanks for the answers.
atrol
Site Admin

Re: Upgrading old Mantis to latest Mantis

Post by atrol »

nlangenb wrote:1. Is it possible to migrate the current MySQL 4.1 database to a SQL 2012 database?
Certainly possible, but certainly some more work than just starting a converting tool.
Furthermore there are some known issues running MantisBT 1.3.3 using SQL-Server
nlangenb wrote:2. Is it possible to migrate the current MySQL 4.1 database to the latest MySQL 5.7 version?
Certainly possible, and maybe just one command to export (mysqldump) and one command to import (mysql).
I would just try and in case of problems I would contact a MySQL forum as this is not a Mantis issue but a general MySQL question.

You forgot at least one and maybe the major question: Is it possible to upgrade Mantis 0.19.2 to 1.3.3?

There was a similar question for 1.2.x some while ago http://www.mantisbt.org/forums/viewtopi ... =3&t=21230
It's still the same for 1.3.x. First upgrade to 1.0, after that upgrade to 1.3.x.
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual
nlangenb

Post by nlangenb »

Thanks for the answers! Will go for the MySQL option.
Will first upgrade to Mantis 1.0 and then continue further.

Won't be done this or next week, but when I'm finished or if I run into problems I will add these results to this thread.
nlangenb

Post by nlangenb »

I am now starting on the upgrade process.
First a question about the MySQL / PHP versions:

In the admin_guide it says that MySQL 5.5.x or above is recommended.
On the MySQL site there are several versions. The newest is 5.7.16, but there is also a 5.5.53 and ofcourse a 5.6.x version (5.6.34).
If the admin_guide says '5.5.x or above' does it mean you have to get a 5.5.x release? So in this case you must go for 5.5.53?
What is safe to choose?

The same for PHP, admin_guide says 5.5.x or above.
On the PHP site there are several versions. The newest is 7.0.13, but there is also 5.6.28.
Which to choose?
I did read somewhere previously (on the forum or bug tracker itself) that PHP 7.x.x has some issues with Mantis?

Thnx!
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

I am not aware that there is any open PHP 7.0.x issue, see https://www.mantisbt.org/bugs/view.php?id=20499

I recommend to use latest PHP 7.0.x and latest MySQL 5.7.x (I use it on one of my test installations without any issue until now).

I recommend also to use Linux to run Mantis, but that's another story ;-)
It's just because Windows is no 1st class platform for PHP and MySQL.
nlangenb

Post by nlangenb »

I successfully updated the database and Mantis version!

I have installed PHP 5.6.24 and MySQL 5.7.16.0.

Then I first 'installed' Mantis 1.0.0 as advised and upgraded our database to that version.
Then I 'installed' Mantis 1.2.20 as final release and upgraded the database to that one.

I did encounter a problem there, but found the solution in this forum.
It was the problem with utf8 errors, so I performed an ALTER TABLE and converted the character set. After that the database was perfect.

Note that I went to 1.2.20 because we used the checkin.php with tortoiseSVN. Later versions of Mantis must use the plugin and I didn't had time to find out how that works. We were happy with the old Mantis and don't need any extra features. I just had to migrate it to an internal Win2012 server, so Mantis v1.2.20 is perfectly.

Thanks for all the help.
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

Thanks @nlangenb for the feedback.