timeline in 1.2

Get help from other users here.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

joey2.0

timeline in 1.2

Post by joey2.0 »

Hello,

is there a possible way to use the timeline in 1.2?
I don´t want to run a unstable version in a produvtive Environment.

Any information is appreciated.

Regards,
Joey
atrol
Site Admin

Re: timeline in 1.2

Post by atrol »

joey2.0 wrote: is there a possible way to use the timeline in 1.2?
You would have to backport the changes from 1.3 to 1.2.
After that, you are running a non standard Mantis which can't be updated the standard way.
joey2.0 wrote: I don´t want to run a unstable version in a produvtive Environment.
Adding timeline to 1.2. will make it less stable.
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual
joey2.0

Post by joey2.0 »

thanks for your reply, I would really like to use the timeline.
i am not sure if downgrading is possible for me but i would try it out, did someone already do it?

someone uses a 1.3 version in produktive environment, how un-/stable is the version(and which version are you using?

thanks
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

joey2.0 wrote: someone uses a 1.3 version in produktive environment, how un-/stable is the version(and which version are you using?
We are running 1.3.0-rc1 since some months at https://www.mantisbt.org/bugs without any major issue.

Do you have any 3rd party plugins installed?
Do you run any custom functions?
Did you change any source code of Mantis 1.2?
Do you use PHP older than 5.3?
joey2.0

Post by joey2.0 »

That sounds relative good,
I didn´t use custom functions, only custom fields, php is 5.4.
I did some changes the last weeks but only on a test server, i wanted to copy the changes to the production Server after some more testing but i guess i can integrate them into the new version, wasn´t very much coding.
Furthermore I installed the GantChart plugin, on the wikipage its mentioned that it should work on higher versions...didn´t find much more Information about that

what would you say?

Thanks
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

joey2.0 wrote: Furthermore I installed the GantChart plugin
Do you use it in your daily work or did you install it just for testing purposes on your test server?
joey2.0

Post by joey2.0 »

not myself but it is used/needed by other users
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

Hard to say what's the best way to go on as this plugin seems not to be under active development https://github.com/mantisbt-plugins/Gan ... ntributors
So you might not get any support if there is a problem with it.

I would export the database of your production system, import the database on the test system and upgrade the test system to MantisBT 1.3 latest nightly build and test, test, test ...
https://www.mantisbt.org/builds.php
joey2.0

Post by joey2.0 »

hi again,

its kind of an old thread but i tried running the timeline under 1.2 and not the nightly.
I made the decision based on the fact that disabling the timeline is quite easy so i have at least a stable Version as base.

I got some questions regarding the code for the timeline - using https://github.com/mantisbt/mantisbt/pull/203/files.

in admin/Schema.php, could you tell me what this line is doing? Is it just creating a index for updating/upgrading or something?
740 + $upgrade[192] = array( 'CreateIndexSQL', array('idx_bug_history_date_modified', db_get_table('bug_history'), 'date_modified' ) );

the other one is the require_api function which is used, is there a great difference to require_once?

so far i had just one big bug since testing, but i think it was due to changing some other stuff :?

Thanks &Regards
J
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

joey2.0 wrote:is it just creating a index for updating/upgrading or something?
740 + $upgrade[192] = array( 'CreateIndexSQL', array('idx_bug_history_date_modified', db_get_table('bug_history'), 'date_modified' ) );
It's just creating a index. If you create it manually in 1.2 you will have to remove it before upgrading to 1.3 as this will break the upgrade process.
You will see a bad performance when displaying the timeline if you don't create the index.
joey2.0 wrote: the other one is the require_api function which is used, is there a great difference to require_once?
no, just performance
joey2.0

Post by joey2.0 »

Thanks atrol,
you helped me a lot and i really like mantisbt :)

seems like timeline is working so far good in 1.2(i am running 1.2.19), gonna get back here if i have some major issues.

Maybe to help others all i did was the following:
Following https://github.com/mantisbt/mantisbt/pull/203/files
I didn´t create the index.
Just adding the class files.
Changing the other files according to the pull.
Additional changes made:

- timeline_api.php:
all require_api -> require_once
line 35 + $t_mantis_bug_history_table = db_get_table( 'bug_history' );
-> $t_mantis_bug_history_table = db_get_table( 'mantis_bug_history' );

- timeline_inc.php:
18 +require_api( 'timeline_api.php');
-> require_once('timeline_api.php');

last thing i did was creating the varables for my language in the lang/*strings.txt.
Its really simple to revert the changes/disable the timeline if you just comment the include from the my_view_page.php out:
104 +<?php include( $g_core_path . 'timeline_inc.php' ); ?>

If it really needs only this few fixes and runs good, seeing some people asking for it in 1.2.
I think i would be really nice to integrate this to 1.2 because 1.3 may take longer.

J
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

joey2.0 wrote: I think i would be really nice to integrate this to 1.2 because 1.3 may take longer.
1.3 will certainly take longer if someone takes the time to implement any new feature in 1.2.