Mantis Gatekeeper?

Get help from other users here.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

johnpoje

Mantis Gatekeeper?

Post by johnpoje »

I am the new engineering manager for my company. I have never used Mantis, so I don't know if my question can be answered....

Is there a way to make all of the new bugs go to me so I can review them and distribute/assign them to the different engineers in my department? It's like I need to be the Gatekeeper.

Thanks for the help!
favioagg

Re: Mantis Gatekeeper?

Post by favioagg »

Yes, you can moddify the workflow to require your intervention on Issue creation, then from there asign the Issue to the specific personal with a custom status.

Its basic modification of the workflow. CHeck the manual, you will be able to find the info there.

Good luck.
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

@favioagg, I am not sure if changing workflow settings will solve what johnpoje is asking for.
Can you explain your proposal in a more detailed way?

An approach that should work is to assign a user (johnpoje himself) to all categories of the project.
After that, whenever a new issue is entered, the user will be auto assigned to it.
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual
favioagg

Post by favioagg »

@atrol He does not want to be assigned, from my experience and my customers, its counter productive. The asignation its a direct call to action from the issue, and only those empowered to asign should be allowed to do so.

Therefore the workflow is controled by certain users, that handle the issue in the form of "filters" or "gatekeepers" and has the knologe to distribute the requeriments inside the company to the rigth department, they have limitations also, they can only scale or assign issues in certain workflow steps, and in the proyects they are allowed to (provided the proyects are keep private).

This way the assignation, its record and the statistics, its keept only for the people that actualy work directly on the issue, be it solving, analysing, developing or denying it. Also gives more tools to the people handlyng teams at the organization.

Hope this was clear.
Cheers.
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

favioagg wrote:He does not want to be assigned
Let's wait for his feedback.
This sounds a bit like he wants to be assigned
johnpoje wrote:make all of the new bugs go to me
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual
favioagg

Post by favioagg »

He could say that if 'assignation' is the easy path to configure it, he will not mind being so. But there is some improvements that can be done there, there are other reasons (administrative, statistics, acounting?) that can be considered from us (@atrol and advanced users) because we know we can harness those.

Just saying that depending on the proccesses and procedures inside a company, the workflow is very specific, and thats one of the things i like about mantis, the degree of personalization,
<< one of your customers team leader wanna control what his subordinates issues and control if they should be scaled? SURE, lets tweak his role and workflows for this project >>
<< the onsite enginneers are tired of getting 100 emails and geting assigned notifications all day?, SURE, lets tweak the notifications for the profile and remove the asignation on certain workflows steps >>
<< the customers want the issues to be exclusive private and just be supervised by their team leader but not betwen them? SURE, lets make all issues private for this project, and the team leader allowed to scale those issues >>

Every customer its diferent, therefore many of the settings on mantis (not touching source code) are not enogth to the full personalization on a company requeriments, that being said i strongly sugest @johnpoje that go with the @atrol solution, while you learn the system and improve it to your needs in the future.
johnpoje

Post by johnpoje »

Hi guys, thank you for the responses.

Sorry for not being clear, I'm new to using Mantis, so perhaps I'm not using the proper terminology...all in all, I think you understood that I was asking for.

The current way Mantis is used in my company is this:
developers/engineers, tech support staff, and sales engineers all have access to the DB to report/update bugs and submit feature requests from our customers. Currently, everything goes straight to the devs/engineers, so I have no idea as to what my staff is working on. I have to stop that or else my staff is just wasting time.

From now on, I want every new submission to go to me first. If I feel that it's necessary for my staff to work on, I want to approve the bug and assign it to the appropriate developer/engineer, and also rank the importance of that bug/feature request. If the bug or feature request doesn't make any sense, or it's irrelevant, I want to delete it immediately before my staff wastes their time on reading that DB entry.

I think favioagg's initial suggestion sounds good. I will try that -- if it's not what I want, I'll post an update.

Thank you for the help!