Ability to unsubscribe after having added a note

Get help from other users here.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

david_stephensen

Ability to unsubscribe after having added a note

Post by david_stephensen »

When there is an event in an issue, our Mantis is set to send notification emails to users who have added a note. We need this for most of our workflows. But some users who have added notes to some bugs are no longer interested in the bugs and find the emails annoying. Is there a way that these users can unsubscribe?
atrol
Site Admin

Re: Ability to unsubscribe after having added a note

Post by atrol »

Strange, I never read such a question before, and now two times in two days.
http://www.mantisbt.org/forums/viewtopi ... 22&p=57280
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual
david_stephensen

Thanks, Atrol
Would it do me any good to request it as a feature in the issue tracker?

I can only see this type of request increasing as people outside the software industry discover the joys of using an issue tracker and want different configuration.
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

david_stephensen wrote:Would it do me any good to request it as a feature in the issue tracker?
Why not. For me it's still a bit strange that you report an issue but are not interested in getting informed. Can you give a reason for it?

Quite another approach that might work at least as a workaround for your use case:
Goto page: "My Account" > "Preferences"
Change settings for "E-mail on ..." "With Minimum Severity of" from default "any" for example to "minor"
Lower the "Severity" of the issue where you don't want to get informed any longer to a lower severity than the account setting (e.g. "tweak")
I am aware that this approach does not work for individual issues, but sometimes a general rule can be even better.
david_stephensen

Thanks for the tip, Atrol. I'll take a look.

Actually I only let my clients use Severity or Priority if they can show me an agreed, documented and universally known definition of each level. Mostly I hide the controls for them. The only one in use is for severity in maintenance requests 'no effect now', 'may stop production', 'stops production'

The user concerned is adding a note to the issue, not reporting it

Our problem is because of someone who has a small but important role in a workflow. He has to add a small bit of information to an issue and then has nothing more to do with it. The issue then proceeds to have a potentially long life as people debate it and add more information. He gets flooded with emails that are not relevant to him.
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

david_stephensen wrote: The user concerned is adding a note to the issue, not reporting it
Our problem is because of someone who has a small but important role in a workflow. He has to add a small bit of information to an issue and then has nothing more to do with it.
Maybe this is a better solution for you:
Goto page Manage > Manage Configuration > E-Mail Notifications
Disable all checkboxes in column "Users who added Issue Notes"
The user who reported the issue, the user who is assigned to the issue and all users that are monitoring the issue will still get email notifications.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

This would be very helpful.
There could be many use cases. Perhaps you have something to contribute, but are not interested in anything else.
Maybe a long lasting issue is no longer interesting to you.
It just makes sense to be able remove yourself from being notified on any issue if you want.
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

Hugh wrote:This would be very helpful.
The first step to get it in standard Mantis would be to enter a feature request at https://www.mantisbt.org/bugs.
The second step would be to send a pull request at https://github.com/mantisbt/mantisbt

You can also write a plugin if this is high priority for you
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23122&p=57280#p57280