Upgrade 1.0.0rc2 to 1.2.17 - any gotchas?

Get help from other users here.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

gtomlin

Upgrade 1.0.0rc2 to 1.2.17 - any gotchas?

Post by gtomlin »

I just copied a Mantis installation from an old machine to a newer one, and have run into some problems which I suspect may be related to a change in PHP release.

The old system is:
  • Windows XP Pro SP3
  • Apache HTTP Server 2.2.16
  • MySQL 5.1.50-community
  • PHP 5.2.2
  • Mantis 1.0.0rc2
The new system is:
  • Windows 7 Pro SP1 32 bit
  • XAMPP 1.8.3 (Apache 2.4.9, PHP 5.5.11, MySQL 5.6.16)
  • Mantis 1.0.0rc2 (copied from the old system)
Errors I have seen on the new system include:
- some, but not all, issues displayed with empty description fields, although phpMyAdmin shows they are not empty
- some, but not all, issues with relationships display the following message one or more times in the relationships area:

Code: Select all

SYSTEM WARNING: Creating default object from empty value
- all pages are displayed with the following messages at the top:

Code: Select all

Warning: ob_start(): function 'compress_handler' not found or invalid function name in F:\xampp\htdocs\mantis\core.php on line 21
  Notice: ob_start(): failed to create buffer in F:\xampp\htdocs\mantis\core.php on line 21
Since current PHP wasn't even imagined way back when 1.0.0rc2 was built, it would be no surprise whatsoever if the intervening PHP changes broke something in the old Mantis release. I don't want to put ancient PHP etc. on the new machine, so I am looking at upgrading Mantis to the current release (1.2.17 at the moment).

The Upgrading section in the Admin manual (http://www.mantisbt.org/docs/master-1.2 ... grade.html) does not mention any problems related to upgrading from a very old release like 1.0.0rc2. I was not able to find anything in the doc/wiki/forums that discussed big release jumps. Will the technique described in the Upgrading section in the Admin manual work cleanly, or are there some extra steps when the release being upgraded is so old?
atrol
Site Admin

Re: Upgrade 1.0.0rc2 to 1.2.17 - any gotchas?

Post by atrol »

I started using MantisBT with version 1.1.x, thus I cant' tell you about any own experience.
I don't expect serious issues when upgrading from 1.0.0.
The upgrade mechanism should work for a standard MantisBT (no modifications of your own).

Using PHP 5.5 is not that much used/tested, e.g. have a look at http://www.mantisbt.org/bugs/view.php?id=17292
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual