Changing Categories from one project to another

Get help from other users here.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

nxadmin

Changing Categories from one project to another

Post by nxadmin »

Hi All,

We have been using Mantis successfully for 2 years. At the time I did not know any better so I created categories as global for all projects. This worked since we only had one product. Now that we have grown and have a couple more products the global categories are no longer applicable for all products. What is the best way around this?

How can I change a category to go from global to project specific? How do specify the project that a category belongs to when creating a category? I don't see a project list associated with it.

Ane help is appreciated.

-nxadmin
atrol
Site Admin

Re: Changing Categories from one project to another

Post by atrol »

Goto page "Manage" > "Manage Projects"
Click the link for the project you want to change
Uncheck "Inherit Global Categories"
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual
dancingfool

Post by dancingfool »

I am a new user of MantisBT version 1.3.2. After adding my first project (logged on as Administrator), I added categories, then saw that they were all added as Global Categories (All Projects). Some of the new categories are are unique to my project, so I don't want them to be global. I was surprised to find that the Add/Edit Category form does not have a Project Name/ID field! Where is it?
So I used phpMyAdmin to access the Mantis database and found that the mantis_category_table has a project_id field (all set to 0), and changed So, I changed the project_id to 1 for the categories that are specific to this project. Now all is well. But, why no Project field in the category form???
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

Goto page Manage > Manage Projects
Click on the name of a project where you want to add a category
On the next page you will see a sectopn "Categories" to add catgeories to the project.
dancingfool

Post by dancingfool »

atrol wrote:Goto page Manage > Manage Projects
Click on the name of a project where you want to add a category
On the next page you will see a sectopn "Categories" to add catgeories to the project.
Thanks for replying ...but this is how added my categories. There is no Project Name/ID field in the Global Categories list/form, nor in the via the edit form accessed via "Add and Edit Category". I Perhaps you don't think all users should have the ability to specify the scope of a category? But since I am logged on as Administrator, I should at least have the ability to assign any Category to any project (including all projects) at the time of creation, directly from Add/Edit Category forms. It appears that the only control over category project scope is as a Global setting that sets ALL new categories to either a) Global, or b) Project-specific. Is that correct? I hope not!

Another related issue with how Categories are added is that I cannot go straight to an Add/Edit form without first adding the category. Users should be able to get to the form and look at its fields without having to first commit to adding a category. In my case, I simply wanted to check the form to see if there was a Project field, and entered a fake category name that I did not actually want to add, but it got added anyway (new category id was 12), so I had to then delete it. After deleting it, the auto_increment is set to 13 (this is standard behavior in SQL databases), so there will be no record #12 unless I change the auto_increment to 12.
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

dancingfool wrote:but this is how added my categories.
No, you missed the step
atrol wrote:Click on the name of a project where you want to add a category
dancingfool wrote:so there will be no record #12 unless I change the auto_increment to 12.
What's the problem with it? Users do not deal with ID's.
dancingfool

Post by dancingfool »

atrol wrote:
dancingfool wrote:but this is how added my categories.
No, you missed the step
atrol wrote:Click on the name of a project where you want to add a category
dancingfool wrote:so there will be no record #12 unless I change the auto_increment to 12.
What's the problem with it? Users do not deal with ID's.
No, I did not miss a step. I just followed your directions to get a list of categories that I have already added to my project, with the ability to add new category and edit existing categories.
What I am trying to tell you is that there is still no way to CHANGE the "project scope" of an existing category from here, nor is there a way to speclfy the "project scope" of a new category, because there is no field for selecting between "All Projects" (project_id=0) and my project (project_id=1).

In Mantis, there are only two choices that make sense for a setting the "scope" of a category: a) Global ("All Projects"), and b) This Project Only. There should be a form field for users to set this scope when adding a category and when editing an existing category. It could be in the form of a drop-down list (select element) with options "All Projects" and "<my projectname>" OR two radiobuttons, or even a checkbox (if checked, make this category Global, else make it for this project only).
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

Got it now.
You can open a feature request for it at https://www.mantisbt.org/bugs
This is no typical use case, so I don't expect that any of the core developers is that much interested in implementing it, but who knows.

Submitting a patch is always a good idea, as it increases the chances of improvement eventually making it into MantisBT core. All contributions are welcome and greatly appreciated.
If you should plan to implement it, keep in mind that in most cases you must not allow to change the project of a category if there are existing issues with that category.
You could allow changing from global category to a certain project if all existing issues belong to the project you want to change to.

Patch submissions can be made in several ways. In the order of preference:

1. Send us a Pull Request on our Github repository [1]
2. Attach a GIT patch to the issue
3. Attach a Unified Diff, clearly specifying the patch's base release

Kindly avoid to upload entire modified PHP files.

Please make sure that your submissions adhere to our Coding Guidelines [2], if they don't your patch might be rejected.

[1] https://github.com/mantisbt/mantisbt
[2] http://www.mantisbt.org/wiki/doku.php/m ... guidelines