Customization : Simplify the bug filter table

Get help from other users here.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

El_Greg

Customization : Simplify the bug filter table

Post by El_Greg »

Hi all,

In the "view_all_bug_page" page, a filter is available. You can choose between simple and advanced view of this page.
Even in the simple filter, too many filter options are available for my users.

How can I remove some field from this filter?

Note : I would like to remove fields from the "simple filter" bug not from the advanced.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gregory
El_Greg

Post by El_Greg »

Hi again,

So ? Nobody has an idea of how it is possible to customise this table ?
I have checked some config files and found nothing about it...

Help wanted please!! :(

Thanks in advance to all.

Gregory
atomoid

Post by atomoid »

i'd like to do this as well, but it looks complicated (im not a programmer, i just make often ham-handed attempts to tweak Mantis code by seat-of-pants-on-fire) so ive put it on backburner, no pun intended.

You might be able to get started by figuring out where its being built up by tracing whats getting passed around through the mess of files:
view_all_bug_page.php
view_all_set.php
filter_api.php
view_filters_page.php
El_Greg

Post by El_Greg »

Hi,

I have tried some modification with these file with no success... I can see that I am not very far because the filter table is changing but I never succeed in removing some fields...

If you have a precise idea of what I should modify...

thanks inadvance to all.

Greg
douglashurst

Post by douglashurst »

I'm very interested in this as well! The only method I've been able to find so far is physically removing the html that includes the extra filters in the page. There has to be a better way than this. The filters that were present in 0.18 where sufficient for my needs, and there are a lot of filters in 1.0.5 that I won't use. Any insight would be appreciated.
giova

Re: Customization : Simplify the bug filter table

Post by giova »

sorry to bump a so old thread, but this is the only result i found regarding my problem :
I have Mantis v1.2.4 and "Simple Filters" contains exactly the same fields as "Advanced Filters", in other words "Simple Filters doesn't works.
I didn't modified any php files, so what is wrong please?
also, how to remove fields from Simple Filters please?
El_Greg

Post by El_Greg »

Hello,

In fact, you can find the same fields between simple and advanced filter.
The only difference is that on the advanced one, you can choose multiple value on each field. You can't do that on the simple filter page.
I have stopped to try to reduce the number of fields... my users are now familiar (or sometimes indifferent) with that.

Regards,

Gregory
giova

Post by giova »

ok thanks for your reply.

Unfortunatly for me, i absolutly need to reduce Simple Filter field list, really to complicate for my public :?
I know they'll never use mantis until i made it a minimum simple :mrgreen:

Well i made search on the forum, apparently very complicate :( noone gived a real answer, and many of them didn't suceed.
As worst solution, i'll definitly remove some fields from the whole system.
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

1. make a simple filter page
2. wait
3. hear users asking for filtering of fields which they see on other MantisBT pages

Are you aware that some of the fields can be globally supressed in the whole system without changing source code? (at least if you are using version 1.2.x of MantisBT)
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual
mantisiator

Post by mantisiator »

Hello,
Sorry to come back on such an old post but I am not sure the discussion was closed, in particular when cheking the last comment.
What is meant by "make a simple filter page" ? Do you mean reducing the number of displayed fields in the displayed filter ? If yes, can you please explain how to proceed ?
Thank you very much in advance
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

mantisiator wrote:"make a simple filter page"
This was step 1.
Step 2 was to wait some time after having completed step 1.
After that, there is step 3 where your users will complain about missing fields when filtering.

I think it does not make that much sense to hide fields just in filter page.
Users expect that they can filter by all fields they can see when looking at an issue.

That's why I asked
atrol wrote: Are you aware that some of the fields can be globally supressed in the whole system without changing source code?
Those fields are not displayed on the filter page.
Can you provide a list of the fields you want to hide?
Is there any field in the list where you have entered values in existing issues?
Is there any field in the list where users are interesetd in when looking at an issue?

Are you aware that you can collapse the filter section, so that your users get just the "Search" field?
mantisiator

Post by mantisiator »

Thanks for your answer.
Based on the last users feedback (of a subset of projects), the fields the users would like to remove are:

Monitored by, category, severity, Hide status, show status, show sticky issues

For these fields, apart of the "mandatory" categor field, no data is filled in the database.

PS: Note that feedback of other users of the other subset of projects could provide me with another list specific to their use. Therefore, do you think that the list of fields could be project specific ?

Thanks a lot in advance !
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

There is no configuration option to get what you want.
This is a known feature request that is not implemented yet https://www.mantisbt.org/bugs/view.php?id=20496
mantisiator wrote: Monitored by, category, severity, Hide status, show status, show sticky issues
For these fields, apart of the "mandatory" categor field, no data is filled in the database.
I can't believe that you don't have status values in database, thus you certainly need Hide status and Show status.

It seems you and your users should work some weeks with Mantis.
After that, you should ask again which fields should be removed.
mantisiator wrote:Therefore, do you think that the list of fields could be project specific ?
Of course, this can be changed in source as a quick and dirty change just for your installation. After that, you have to be aware that you have to reapply these changes whenever you upgrade Mantis to a newer version.
mantisiator

Post by mantisiator »

Hi,
You are correct. the status filed is filled in, together with the resolution. (I have mapped the status defintion of the former (Remedy) system with Mantis status/resolution values.
The "Hide status" can be left. But the other fields, ie Monitored by, category, severity, show status (private and public is not used), show sticky issues are indeed not needed with respect to the current ticketing organisation, which I have been requested to keep during the move into the Mantis world :)
What do you think ?
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

You would have to change code of function filter_draw_selection_area2() for it.