End of life Mantis 1.3.x

General discussion of Mantis.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

daviceroy

End of life Mantis 1.3.x

Post by daviceroy »

I've noticed that 2.0.x is now the download option. Is there a planned end of life for support or bug fixes for 1.3.x?
atrol
Site Admin

Re: End of life Mantis 1.3.x

Post by atrol »

daviceroy wrote:Is there a planned end of life for support for 1.3.x?
Not complete sure what you mean with "support".
There is even no start of life for support of 1.3.x or any other version :wink:
You can't expect anything, as support in this forum depends on another MantisBT user who takes the time to help other users.
You might have noticed, that there are not that much users helping. I am the one who is contributing most of the answers.
daviceroy wrote:Is there a planned end of life for bug fixes for 1.3.x?
There is no planned end of life at the moment, but some discussion about future releases and which releases will have some kind of long term support.
I expect that 1.3.x will be supported quite long, as it will take some time until 2.x.x is stable and the most used 3rd party plugins are adapted to 2.x.x.
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual
daviceroy

Post by daviceroy »

A lot of products use a two tiered system for End of Life of products. I'll give a few examples to better understand the question.

PHP has active support for Version 5.6 until Dec 31st, 2016 and security until Dec 31st, 2018. The first date meaning that they won't put in new features after then. The second date is when they will stop putting in bug fixes. (http://php.net/supported-versions.php)

Other groups including PHPBB, Ubuntu, Microsoft, etc use the same similar system. Typically, this helps users of the software know when they should start migrating away from earlier versions and when they must migrate fully if they want to ensure that bugs are fixed.

I appreciate you answering the questions you do on here and I also realize that Mantis BT might not have a model like this in place. I'm not one to rush into putting blazing edge releases (your 1.0.0, 2.0.0, etc) on production giving people time to test and find issues, but I also don't want to end up lagged behind in support for not upgrading. A delicate balance when you run projects with different software.
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

Are you planning to upgrade from older MantisBT versions or are you planning to introduce MantisBT?

Do you have to with users running old browsers, e.g. IE < 11?

BTW, you can run 1.3.x and 2.0.x in parallel connected to the same database.
You might want to start with 1.3.5 and switch to 2.0.x in some months if you fear that 2.0.0 is not stable enough for you.
This is certainly a nice option, but you might shock some of your end users that get used to the old UI.
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual