Emailing Issue Link to Non-user

General discussion of Mantis.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

sirbanks

Emailing Issue Link to Non-user

Post by sirbanks »

We have a situation where it would be desirable to be able to either email a non-user (someone without access to our Mantis) a link to a specific issue where they could click-through, read the content and also download any attachments on that specific issue. Obviously we do not want them to have access to any other part of the MANTIS system, just that single issue for that point in time. The reason is that sometimes a Mantis issue has all the answers needed for a non-user and we would like to email it to them straight from Mantis rather than copy paste/download attachments to send to them. It is just a time saver.

I've looked through what plugin's I could find to see if this exists and apparently it does not. I thought I would submit this as a wishlist item (assuming others may sometimes need the ability to send the information in a specific issue to a non-user) and ask if anyone else has encountered this need and found a work-around? Thanks in advance for feedback.
atrol
Site Admin

Re: Emailing Issue Link to Non-user

Post by atrol »

How do you want to distinguish this "non-user" from any other "non-user"?
Please use Search before posting and read the Manual
sirbanks

Post by sirbanks »

Sorry I was not clear. At the moment if a target user has a login to our Mantis installation you can just email a link for a specific issue to the target user and they can click-through, login to Mantis and see the issue. However, if you want to send this link to a target user that does NOT have login credentials for your Mantis installation, they cannot view the issue since they have no login credentials. I'm looking for a way overcome this without creating login credentials for everyone we want to give access to the content of a single, specific issue for a short time (in many situations, the target user will only have need of content of this one, single issue and never need the Mantis content again). Does this make sense? I know that our use-case for Mantis is a little different than it is usually intended, but it works very well in our situation. I'm just trying to find a quicker way to make content temporarily available to non-users than printing PDF's, downloading attachments and then attaching this all to an email to send. I am thinking along the lines of when you share a download link from your Dropbox or other cloud account with someone and the recipient receives an email link to the file that will expire after some defined time.

UPDATE: OK after reading the post I am not sure I answered your question. I do not want to give non-users access to Mantis necessarily as that sounds a bit complicated to manage. Maybe something like this: a non-user contacts me with an problem. I find the solution to their problem in Mantis on a previously reported issue. From this issue, perhaps there is a button I click that automatically creates a PDF or text file of the issue including all notes and attaches this to an email. Then it also attaches any attachments that have been uploaded to that issue to the email. Then I can send this info to the non-user. Lazy, yes, but I think it is a usable option?
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »

Didn't have a deeper look, might help http://www.mantisbt.org/bugs/view.php?id=12949
sirbanks

Post by sirbanks »

Thank you! Some pages required some slight coding changes to make it work, but it basically does what I need! Now I just have to figure out how to add any attachments on the issue to the email. Can you point me anywhere that may give me some background info on this? Thanks again for the help, this is great!
atrol
Site Admin

Post by atrol »