Using Mantis
57%
Different Tool
27%
Not at all
17%

Total votes: 30

dylanc

Re: Using mantis for project management!?

Post by dylanc »

The problem is of course, I am still in 1.1.8 - however, after looking at the source code for 1.2 I don't think there would be any problem patching my stuff into it.

A few of my changes require a slight change in the way of thinking regarding task relationships - ie. the parent/child relationship looks like it was originally implemented to be a "dependent/blocks" relationship (and it can still be used like that with my extensions of course), however, by separating the parent/child paradigm from the dependent/blocks paradigm you can organise tasks/issues in a more easier to understand way.

I also added a "waiting" status to indicate when a task is being blocked by another task, which gets turned off when the tasks it is waiting on are finished. This is all done with the new relationship I added.
vjainstirlingenergy

Post by vjainstirlingenergy »

Hello dylanc,

I am interested in using Mantis for porject Management and your (dylanc) looks promising to me. Can you share your customizations? we are also using Mantis 1.1.8.

dylanc wrote:I've modified mantis to cope with small project management. I did the following:
  • added a new block/waiting relationship set in addition to the default parent/child (which is more for hierarchical/grouping tasks)
  • added auto-unblock of a task once the tasks it is waiting on are resolved
  • added a proper hierarchical collapsing section view to the roadmap
  • added detailed sprint (version) analysis to the roadmap, per user and overall
  • added ajax-powered expanding into the regular search/view_all_bugs view, so you can click on an icon to quickly list up the children of a task below it
  • added task weights and progress (custom fields)
  • added the automatic calculation of these task weights and progresses into the parent task (so you can see the progress of a group of tasks quickly)
  • added auto-tagging of usernames to tasks which also accumulate in the parent's tasks
  • added small avatars based on these tags to make it quick and easy to see who is involved in what (you get a nice row of avatars on a parent task with lots of children that are assigned to different people for example)
  • added inheritance of parent tasks when you clone a task
  • added quick navigation icons into the task summary column in the search view so you can quickly jump to a task's parent, you can quickly jump to the hierarchy graphs using these icons too
..and a few other bits and pieces here and there (took about two weeks and now it is truly usable for managing/grouping tasks and checking progress). This is currently for 1.1.8 and if anyone wants any of this stuff I'll send you the patch file. (some of this stuff would be great to get into the main code base)
ptandler

Post by ptandler »

Hi dylanc - look like you've done a great job - I was looking for many of these features.
I do support atrol's suggestion - you could attach your patches to an issue in the mantis tracker.
Cheers,
Peter