Updating issue reports

General discussion of Mantis.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

mustard76

Updating issue reports

Post by mustard76 »

I've used several other bug trackers and the one thing frustrates me with Mantis is that I can't change an issue's titile, category, severity, etc _after_ it is first reported. This is a major limitation. A lot of times the person who reports the bug gives it a misleading title or selects the wrong category.

Am I missing something here? Is anyone working on this functionality?
mustard76

follow-up

Post by mustard76 »

OK. So I figured out how to change the category, titile, etc of an existing bug.

It turns out that this functionality was there I just couldn't find it. This is a UI issue not a functional issue.

Some suggestions for the Mantis folks:

-- I want my default issue viewer to be the _update_ view, so that I don't have to fish for the update button to make changes. It would be great to view issues in a screen where I can actually update the issue.
-- It took me a while to figure out how to update a bug. When I first attempted to change the status of a bug, I scrolled down to the "Change Status To:" drop-down menu, changed the status and then hit the "Update Issue" button. Now, I finally understand why this didn't work.
-- The "Update Issue", "Assign to" and "change status to" buttons on the issue view page are confusing, just allow people to view issues in the update window and they won't have to problems I did. From a UI perspective I want to be able to click on fields to change them when I'm from the view screen. If I need a prettier report, I'll generate a printable report.
thraxisp
Developer

Post by thraxisp »

Could you file an issue to this effect at http://bugs.mantisbt.org/ ?
mustard76

error signing up on bugs.mantisbt.org

Post by mustard76 »

I tried to sign up for an account on bugs.mantisbt.org (user name: mustard76) and I got this error:

PROBLEMS SENDING MAIL TO:
Mailer Error: Could not instantiate mail function.
mustard76

New issue created

Post by mustard76 »

I posted this as issue #5368. Thanks for your consideration.

http://bugs.mantisbt.org/view.php?id=5368
vboctor
Site Admin

Post by vboctor »

I don't agree with the concept that the update page should be the default page to view an issue. This is due to the following reasons:

1. Loading the update page is slower, due to loading all the reporters, categories, ...etc. In some installations (like the Mantis one), you can have thousands of reporters.

2. Viewing fields like description and notes will be limited to the height of the multi-line edit box.

3. HTML formatting (eg: bold) will not be visible.

4. Hyperlinks to other issues will not be rendered.

and possible other reasons that I can't think of right now.

Regards,
Victor
MantisConnect
http://www.futureware.biz/mantisconnect