EmailReporting Feature Request

This plugin allows you to report an issue in MantisBT by sending an email to a particular mail account

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

Coolpro21

EmailReporting Feature Request

Post by Coolpro21 »

First, many thanks to the developers and contributors of Mantis and its plugins, and to those who monitor this message board and reply with great information. I would like to request a feature be added to the EmailReporting plugin if it's possible. It would be nice if this plugin had the ability to reply to an end-user specified email address in the bug notes.

Here is the scenario: At another company that I worked for, users at our outlying facilities would pull up a help desk ticket, web form on SharePoint, fill it out and click 'submit'. One of the required fields on the form was for an email address. After submitting the ticket, Mantis would reply to that end-users specific email address with their 'Bug ID' or ticket number as we called it.

Is this function possible with the EmailReporting plugin, or will code have to be developed elsewhere?

Thank you, in advance for all of the helpful responses.
andrea.mills

Re: EmailReporting Feature Request

Post by andrea.mills »

The EmailReporting plugin means that instead of the users filling out a form, they can email someone (support@company.com) and the contents of the email will be put into Mantis.

The functionality you described is more in line with Mantis out-of-the-box. Users sign up for accounts using their own email address. They fill out a form on the web with information on their issue, click submit, and they will be updated at the email address they created the account with every time a change is made to the bug they submitted.
Coolpro21

Post by Coolpro21 »

@andrea.mills
Thank you for your input. Perhaps further explanation for the feature request would help those reading this understand why the feature request was, well.....requested. I do use the plugin just for its intended purpose, when I have a non-compliant end-user who emails me with their problem instead of using my web form.

Mantis out-of-the-box will work for field IT personnel but, I have 3,500 end-users who are nurses, doctors and administration people at ~ 38 hospitals. Creating and allowing each end-user their own Mantis account is not feasible, not to mention Mantis would just confuse 99% of them. A web form with limited entries is about the best I can expect poor little "Miss Mary" to fill out without confusing her. I don't want the web form submitter to get email updates on their bug or their ticket. I just want one reply email with the ticket number sent to the email address of the person who submitted the web ticket.

I would prefer to have my web form directly create a ticket in Mantis vs. using the round about method of having the web form email the contents to an email address and using the EmailReporting plugin to POP the email into a new Bug. The web form I'm using is created in Joomla! 1.7.3 using Mooj ProForms paid version. With the ProForms paid version it has the ability to tie different form fields into specified tables in an external database, but I don't know how to do that yet, nor do I know what function would need to be performed to execute the creation of the new Bug. It also claims to have the option to execute one or multiple PHP script against the form. I've not given up on my web form creating a ticket directly in Mantis. I'm just using this plugin until I can figure out how to do what I want to do with the web form. But along the way, using the EmailReporting plugin, I felt that it would be nice to have the extra feature added to it "if possible", just for Linux/PHP/MySQL newbs like me.

I'm a new Customer Service and Support Manager, building a help desk from the ground up. I don't have capitol to work with and I don't have much LAMP experience. I'm learning along the way; teaching myself.
SL-Gundam

Post by SL-Gundam »

Sorry but as andrea.mills said, it is out of the scope of this plugin. EmailReporting will always require a user account a mantis to be able to send notification emails to them.

Alternatives that might help:
- You could write your own plugins to accomplice your goals. Or maybe somebody can do this for you.
- EmailReporting can create user accounts automatically based on received emails. This would not require those ~3500 people to create accounts manually. This way you could drop the web form altogether and only require a mailbox where they send the emails to. You would need to fiddle with the notification settings in mantis to get the desired results on the notification part of mantis.
cas

Post by cas »

I have created a plugin which allows forwarding of an issue to one or more email addresses (attached to this posting).
Perhaps it can help you to achieve what you want. :D
Attachments
Forward.zip
(4.27 KiB) Downloaded 663 times